h-beam vs I-beam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• h-beam vs I-beam

I'm working on an LT1 rebuild and tryingto decide which rods to go with, I was thinking about the saying better safe than sorry, and going with teh H-beam rods. But really how strong is an I-beam rod? I'd hate to put all this money in this engine and have a rod to fail, thought I probably wont drag it, I do have a heavy foot, and love a red light challenge, I'm running forged pistons and have had the block bored 30 over already, I plan to run the stock crank as it cleaned up nice at teh machine shop.When would an H-beam rod truly be required?
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am Formula

What kind of HP are you planning on? The stock PM rods will handle 500+HP reliably. When you get into the really high end stuff, like the Oliver billet rods, they are I-beams. But those are for 1,000+HP engine. I think the I-beams are easier on clearance in a stroker. The H's tend to be a bit wider.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well I 450 at the flywheel was my goal
      1995 Pontiac Trans Am Formula

Comment

Working...
      X