Idle Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Problem

Last week I replaced my starter and battery and ever since, the car idles very high. When i first start it, it revs to about 2000 and holds for a few seconds then drops to about 1500-1600 for at least 30 seconds maybe more. After that it drops to about 900 and stays unless I hit the gas. When I am driving, if I step on the clutch, it revs to 2000 and doesn't start falling off until i'm completely stopped. Once stopped, it takes about 45 seconds to drop down to 1000-1100 and barely drops below 1000. The battery Pos. terminal was leaking and broke off when I went to change it. Could the spilled battery acid have caused something. Any suggestions/ information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Kenny
    LOUD2000T/A
    '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Sounds like the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve may need to be reset or possibly replaced.

Once again, Shoebox to the rescue:

Reset the IAC
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I agree with the diagnosis- IAC- but the photo is from an LT1- little different on the LS1 engine- you can try cleaning the various passages with some carb cleaner- it was a routine maintenance item on my LT1- haven't had to yet, on the LS1, but have only been driving it 2 years- it's probably due....
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll try cleaning it out today, but you mentioned resetting it, how do I go about doing that?
        LOUD2000T/A
        '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by LOUD2000T/A
          Thanks guys. I'll try cleaning it out today, but you mentioned resetting it, how do I go about doing that?

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#iac_reset

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Good call on the IAC. I just went outside and cleaned and reset it and now it is idling right around 750. Thanks again.
            LOUD2000T/A

Comment

Anyone havethe GM parts # for that? I have a 2000 z28 also and its doing it also.
              2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Try this p/n 17113598. List price is about $165. I'm going to check NAPA to see if they sell one.
                LOUD2000T/A

Comment

IAC from NAPA $135 OUCH....
                  2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

just got one from NAPA today. $95
                    LOUD2000T/A

Comment

Working...
                    X