Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD Help

Guys,

I'm working on a 01 z28 with a Torsen Rearend... I and my tech overlooked the whole unit and the rear looks fine. The ring and pinion are good. We're not too familiar with Torsen setups.

Anywho, here's what's happening. In the air, when you turn the wheels forward, the rotate opposite of each other, when you rotate them in reverse they rotate opposite of each other and then if you rotote them forward again, it locks up and both tires rotate forward...is this normal for a Torsen unit? It looks like one of teh worm gears is catching... would worn axle clips cause the catching?

The problem is that this thing locks up intermitantely...strange. My shop is only familiar with Auburns and LSD with clutches.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

yeah, I don't really understand them either- they don't behave like the Auburn and Eaton units with clutches I have played around with on lifts-

They are torque-biasing or torque sensing- I think that means that they need to have a load applied on one side, and the torque ratio is how much more force the other side will receive- if neither side is loaded, it seems like they just act like an open diff-

The only reliable way to test if they are working is go do some burn-outs- at least on soil if not pavement- under a hard load condition, both wheels should be spinning
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

No biggy...the owner wants to throw in an Auburn unit anyways.

Thanks Willy.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

lucy in the sky with diamonds
        87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Working...
        X