Got my 5.0 pro went to install it . . . now I'm worried

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 5.0 pro went to install it . . . now I'm worried

So I'm trying to figure out how to install my new shifterbut i haven't even taken one bolt out yet. i have the car chalked when i notice that i can shift into any gear that i want WITHOUT pushing the clutch ! ! Am i correct in assuming this is not normal ? Does this mean I should worry about a new clutch instead of any Mods (he sheds a tear)

please help me
    Red 97 V6 (STOCK), Black 96 Ram Air WS6 M6 5.0 PRO, skip shift delete basicaly stock, for now . . .

If the car is NOT running...yes, you can put it in any gear without pushing the clutch.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

really ? this is only the second car i've owned with a stick. but i know i couldn't do that on the ol'4runner. Any I noticed there is an air bag sensor under the center consule, should i disconnect the battery while i'm doing this? or is this not a concern?
      Red 97 V6 (STOCK), Black 96 Ram Air WS6 M6 5.0 PRO, skip shift delete basicaly stock, for now . . .

Comment

Any time you are messing around near the air bags or air bag sensors, yes you should disconnect them. The proper procedure is to disconnect the battery, pull the air bag fuse and then disconnect the harness under both the driver side and passenger side dash. You have to remove the knee panels under both sides. They are the big bright yellow connectors, hard to miss. Reverse the procedure to put it back together.
        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I dont see Why you would need to disconnect the Sensor or remove the Knee Cover. If all your doing is removing the Shifter, All you do is remove the center console. Once you do that you remove the rubber boot then its 4 bolts to remove the shifter, You dont even have to come close to the Sensor.

Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

and you really dont have to pull the center console out if you dont want to. just unscrew your ball and pop the shift boot out of the center console and you should be able to pop the bolts out and there ya go.
            94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
            GOT PSi?
            Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

You have to remove the console. You cants get to the 8 sheet metal screws that hold the Rubber boot on. You can but its almost impossible. No point in frustrating yourself trying to do that.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                You have to remove the console. You cants get to the 8 sheet metal screws that hold the Rubber boot on. You can but its almost impossible. No point in frustrating yourself trying to do that.

what he said /\
                -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Yeah, i got it figured out, like i said i'm a newb so i got kinda freaked out when i saw the air bag sensor (i turn wrenches for a living just not on cars) but i pulled the stock one last night and i'll put the 5.0 in after work today . . . .

Comment

Yeah no reason to disconnect the battery i dont think. I never have.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Red97v6Bird hey where are you located at? what state?
                      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                      GOT PSi?
                      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

western Illinois man about 2-3 hours southwest of chicago, why?

Comment

GOT IT IN ! ! ! man the difference between the stock and the 5.0 is night and day it's Awsome. Now do i want to cut the stick maybe an inch shorter to make it an even shorter thro hmmmm . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Red97v6Bird
                            GOT IT IN ! ! ! man the difference between the stock and the 5.0 is night and day it's Awsome. Now do i want to cut the stick maybe an inch shorter to make it an even shorter thro hmmmm . . . . . .
                            Yes, you do, or you can see if you can find Lou's Short Stick, then you can keep the stock one.

Comment

You can get a short this from UMI. They have them for $50. Thats wat I have.
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X