Gotta rebuild my rear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta rebuild my rear

hey guys if you all remember when i pulled the cover off my rear from the Z28 the ring pinion and spiders were all messed up. im trying to get the money to fix it up could anyone suggest any gears or certain brands theyve used and what not. im thinking maybe 373 and just a nice eaton posi or whatever. can someone tell me whether my ideas are good or crap? i gotta do my rear then my exhaust and once i get that done ima take a little 1/4 mile run and see what kind of slips they will throw at me. thanks for the help guys.

BTW- i took about 20 pics of the car and i left my USB cable at my parents house in MD so i wont be able to get there for a week considering im down here in VA. im trying to get pics sorry everyone.
    94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
    1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
    GOT PSi?
    Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Ring, pinion, and spider gears all going at one time is one helluva massive failure. You can get spider gears at Advance Auto Parts, and a ring and pinion can be had for $150 all day long in whatever ratio you want on Summit Racing, IF you don't look under Camaro and Firebird specifically. I run Motive's in mine with no issues.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

oooo gotcha soo like 300 for parts? i thought the posi gear was like 300-400? they didnt go out i could still drive it but the ring and pinion were mising a few teeth and the spider gears looked like something got between them ya know and like made a indentations in the gears so i figured better be safe then sorry. considering i drive 100 miles on I-95 every weekend
      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
      GOT PSi?

Comment

Why not pick up a complete posi rear out of a wrecked 4th gen. You can get those for under $200.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

oo wow never thought of that thankyou you dont have a website that you happen to know of the top of your head or anything do you?
          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
          GOT PSi?

Comment

any rear 93-02 will work right? i know i want a Z28 or SS rear but im saying they will bolt up the same correct?
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            GOT PSi?

Comment

Check the classifieds here and on camaroz28.com. I can also suggest contemporarycorvette.com if you would rather purchase the rear from a business rather than a person. They speciaize in LT1 & LS1 Corvettes & F-Bodys. All of there stuff comes with a warranty too.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Any rear from 93+ will fit. The only differences are the posi unit & gear ratio. I would look for an Auburn posi w/ 3.42 gears.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

oo ok cool ill keep my eye out. how exactly do i deficer the auburn posi unit from any other posi unit? i know the gear ratio and what not but just curious about the brand.
                  94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                  75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                  GOT PSi?

Comment

Auburns were used up until 99-00 range. I think there was some mix between Auburns & Torsens in 99, while all 00's should be Torsens. The appearance difference is night and day if you simply google some pictures.

In general you would want to find a reasonably low mileage rear from a LT1 M6 car, or if you are willing to tinker a little more going with an LS1 M6 rear will get you better rear brakes.

If you don't trust the seller you'll want to be sure to inspect it. They all look similar from the outside so it's easy to get stuck with an open diff, 2.73's, or some odd V6 rear.

Auburn posi's can be rebuilt but wear and tend to go a little soft after 100k miles or so. Torsen's are completely different and don't wear so much as just break.

For a daily driver imho Torsen's are better.

I agree 100% that a full rear swap is best for budget guys. Gears are tricky to setup and won't be warrantied by any shop except like a dealer ($$$$).

Comment

Originally posted by toddwirges
                      Auburns were used up until 99-00 range. I think there was some mix between Auburns & Torsens in 99, while all 00's should be Torsens. The appearance difference is night and day if you simply google some pictures.
                      That's not true. Auburns only got put in the Camaro SS and Firehawks. They were an after built mod.

All F-bodies 94-02 with 6 speeds got 3.42 gears.
                      All F-bodies built in 93 got 2.73 gears or an option for 3:23.
                      I don't think traction control was offered in 94 so you should have a 3 channel ABS brakes. Cars with traction control had 4 channel ABS brakes and will not work in your car.
                      The rear brakes on the LT1 cars are the same diameter as the LS1 cars but they use a different caliper, pads, and emergency brake setup up. There isn't any advantage to the LS1 rear brakes over the LT1s. If you get a LS1 you will forever have to remember the rear brakes are different than the year of the car when you go to replace them. However if you are planning to or want to go ahead and upgrade the front brakes to LS1s you might want to get a LS1 rear end so the brakes for all 4 will be the same year.
                      LT1s had clutch type differentials.
                      LS1s (except SS and Firehawks) had Torsens type differential. www.torsen.com Better for going around corners without the rear end kicking out. Let me put it this way, I wish my Corvette had a Torsen in it.

I just purchased something from these guys and they were great. They have really good prices too and they aren't too far from you. http://www.fpartssalvage.com/ They specialize in F-bodies and Corvettes. I noticed they have knuckles for LS1 F-bodies. All the other parts for upgrading you front brakes can be had at your local parts store.
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

In 93, both the A4 and M6 V8's were avalable with either 2.73's or 3.23's.

http://www.ws6.com/faq/4_3.htm#ch4_3a
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                          In 93, both the A4 and M6 V8's were avalable with either 2.73's or 3.23's.

http://www.ws6.com/faq/4_3.htm#ch4_3a
                          Dang, I knew I'd forget something. I was in a hurry to leave for work.
                          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

wow thanks a million guys i have to pick up a y-pipe for my car i obtained a huge hole which is making me lose power right now and already blew out my 02 sensors i believe. but a new rear is defintaly a thing under the necessity list. and will happen very soon thanks again
                            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                            GOT PSi?

Comment

Technically, some early LS1's were built with clutch type diffs. Torsen wasn't 100% until 2000.

And my mistake for using "Auburn" as a general design type, but wasn't Auburn OEM for all of 'em?

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                              That's not true. Auburns only got put in the Camaro SS and Firehawks. They were an after built mod.

All F-bodies 94-02 with 6 speeds got 3.42 gears.
                              All F-bodies built in 93 got 2.73 gears or an option for 3:23.
                              I don't think traction control was offered in 94 so you should have a 3 channel ABS brakes. Cars with traction control had 4 channel ABS brakes and will not work in your car.
                              The rear brakes on the LT1 cars are the same diameter as the LS1 cars but they use a different caliper, pads, and emergency brake setup up. There isn't any advantage to the LS1 rear brakes over the LT1s. If you get a LS1 you will forever have to remember the rear brakes are different than the year of the car when you go to replace them. However if you are planning to or want to go ahead and upgrade the front brakes to LS1s you might want to get a LS1 rear end so the brakes for all 4 will be the same year.
                              LT1s had clutch type differentials.
                              LS1s (except SS and Firehawks) had Torsens type differential. www.torsen.com Better for going around corners without the rear end kicking out. Let me put it this way, I wish my Corvette had a Torsen in it.

I just purchased something from these guys and they were great. They have really good prices too and they aren't too far from you. http://www.fpartssalvage.com/ They specialize in F-bodies and Corvettes. I noticed they have knuckles for LS1 F-bodies. All the other parts for upgrading you front brakes can be had at your local parts store.

Comment

Working...
                              X