Car cranks, but won't start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car cranks, but won't start

I haven't driven my car in a few days and now it won't start. It cranks like it wants to start, but won't actually start up. It almost starts, but sounds like it's really struggling to stay alive and never actually gets going. What could it be? Bad fuel? My distributer, plugs and wires are all relatively new. I think they all have less than 5,000 miles on them. Thanks in advance
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Do you have spark coming from the coil?

Comment

The exact thing happened to my old T/A. Turned out to be the battery. I deep cycled the battery and it fired right up. Unfortunately, it didn't hold a charge after that. I had to get a new one.

It was just enough juice to crank like it was fine, but not quite enough to get it to fire.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Fuel filter?
        Ignition related?----coil, opti or opti harness
        --or like /\ said, it could be a bad cell(s) in the battery.

Look for Joe's ignition troubleshooting guide on this forum.
        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Did you check for codes?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was towed to his shop, because it wouldn't start. He said that when he tried turning the key, it fired right up. I'm hoping it's just a clogged fuel filter
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

it could also be an ignition part on its way out.

for example: coil or opti

just be prepared
              -Ryan-

Comment

The opti has less than 2k miles on it. I don't think that's it.
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

has the fuel filter been changed?

how many miles on the coil?

like Fred asked above: has the SES light turned on? although that is the first thing the mechanic should have checked....
                  -Ryan-

Comment

Check your ICM. This is always overlooked, after the coil and opti. Do you know any friends with an LT1, where you can borrow their ICM?

Steve and I had this issue on his Z for several months. Replaced almost everything including the PCM, opti, coil, etc. Turned out to be the ICM.
                    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                    X