Upgrading exhaust...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading exhaust...

Hi all. My name is Dane, I'm a professional firefighter in Central Virginia, and I just purchased my first F-Body. I've been around the cars for awhile (my dad has an '02 WS6) but this is my first. It's an '02 Firebird Formula with only 25k miles on it!

It is completely stock, aside from an SLP lid. I've pretty much decided that I would like to start my build up with an exhaust package. I know what catback I would like to go with (SLP Loudmouth II) but I'm still up in the air about the headers. I want to go with longtubes, but I'm unsure about a few things, since I've never done any header installations before.

1) I live in Virginia, where they do not do sniffer tests. Last inspection I got they didnt actually do ANYTHING regarding the emissions system, aside from giving it a quick once over. I'm wondering if i should go to high flow cats? Or are catalytic converters even compatible with longtube headers?

2) As I said, Im going with the loudmouth II. Will it bolt up to a set of longtube headers? If not, what else in addition to the headers and the catback will I need?

3) Finally, about how much HP at the wheels would you estimate Im pushing NOW? I dont have a dyno readily available and would like just to get a ballpark estimate.

This forum really seems knowledgeable and respectful, and I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and maybe putting my two cents in here and there

Thanks!
    2002 Formula, midnight blue

SLP Airbox Lid

25k miles

PROUDLY SERVING THE LYNCHBURG FD!!

Welcome,
    If your going to install the LMII your going to have to run a Y-Pipe. If your going to run long tubes then I would say run cats b/c if you dont then its going to be insanely loud! My guess for Stock RWHP would be 315-325rwhp. Thats about the best ballpark figure I can think of. With an opened up exhaust you should gain a couple ponies.

As for the emissions, I dont know what they are looking for when they do the Once over.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

haha...basically they look for rust holes, and listen to see how loud it is. The louder it is, the closer they look

Im considering the SLP "race muffler" instead of the resonator...hopefully that will squelch a bit of the volume, but still sound nasty. We shall see...

SLP Airbox Lid

25k miles

Comment

Additional Info needed

I am new to the V8 f-body for the record so please don't laugh if this is a silly question to you guys...

I am doing a 3.4 to LT1 swap. Our emission laws here are non-existant. NO INSPECTIONS AT ALL! Gotta' love it. So, the Q is can I run long tube headers and true dual exaust without cats in my '94 LT1 Camarao with out screwing up the ecm or do I have to stay put with the factory style?

I was told it has to stay the same due to back pressure and the ecm not reading properly. I do not have the utmost confidence in my source. Any input guys would be much appreciated guys. Thanks!
        There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
        '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
        '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
        '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
          I am new to the V8 f-body for the record so please don't laugh if this is a silly question to you guys...

I am doing a 3.4 to LT1 swap. Our emission laws here are non-existant. NO INSPECTIONS AT ALL! Gotta' love it. So, the Q is can I run long tube headers and true dual exaust without cats in my '94 LT1 Camarao with out screwing up the ecm or do I have to stay put with the factory style?

I was told it has to stay the same due to back pressure and the ecm not reading properly. I do not have the utmost confidence in my source. Any input guys would be much appreciated guys. Thanks!
          Best thing to do would be to post your own thread, rather than highjack someone else's.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks, Injuneer...

By the way, heard you were the man when it comes to tuning...

Do much LS1edit work? Gonna need a tune here in a few weeks...scared I'm gonna mess something up. BUT that's for another thread

Anyway, I'm starting to figure out some of the exhaust deal (thanks in part to the guys over at theformulasource.com) and I think I'm gonna go with pacesetter longtubes (catted) and a LMII.

Any comments?

Thanks!!

SLP Airbox Lid

25k miles

Comment

No.... I'm not a tuner, unless you happen to be running a MoTeC ECU. I ditched my stock PCM in 2000, and replaced it with a MoTeC M48Pro. Its a lot more "friendly" for the dry nitrous setup I run. I have not done anything at all with the LS1's. I have written a guide to scanning and interpreting PCM data, but that's directed at the LT1's as well. The LS1 PCM is a quantum leap above that.

The LS1 is such a natural "powerhouse" that its fairly easy to make big power. I envy the LS1 owners
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well, whenever you decide to start tuning LS1's, PM me

SLP Airbox Lid

25k miles

Comment

Working...
                X