Help: Removing console and replacing e-brake cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Removing console and replacing e-brake cable

94 Firebird 3.4L V6 auto, my e-brake cable is broken between the e-brake handle inside the car and the Y fitting under the car where it splits to the 2 drums.

I have removed the console and I am going to replace the e-brake cable, any tips, tricks or instructions on removing the cable would be appreciated...thanks

I've been working on cars for over 50 years, but I always make sure I have a Chilton's manual for basic operations like you are doing. They have a detailed procedure, with drawings. Probably the best $20 you could spend if you plan to keep the car for a while and do any work on it.

REMOVE
    1. Remove console

2. With parking brake lever in the up position, remove the parking brake spring. (sketch shows that to the large coil spring on the driver's side of the handle assembly)

3. With the parking brake in the down position, rotate the adjuster arm toward the front of the vehicle until a 3mm metal pin can be inserted into the hole. Perform the following:
    a. Remove the remaining piece of plastic shear pin from the hole.
    b. Insert a 3mm metal pin into the hole, locking out the self adjuster.

4. Pull the parking brake lever all the way back.

5. Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.

6. Disconnect the reaqr cables from the equalizer

7. Remove the fitting of the front cable from the bracket using tool J37043 or equivalent release tool

8. Remove the grommet from the slot in the underbody

9. Carefully lower the vehicle

10. Bend back the cable retainer tab on the pulley

11. Remove the barrel-shaped front cable end fitting from the adjuster track on the pulley

12. Use release tool J37043 to detach the brake cable from the floorpan

13. Remove the front parking brake cable from the floorpan

INSTALL
    14. Route the front parking brake cable and grommet into the floorpan as follows
    a. Using soapy water as a lubricant, feed the forward end of the grommet into the slot
    b. Use a small, curved, flat-ended prybar to gently press the rearward end into the slot
    c. Make sure the grommet is properly seated in the slot in the floorpan

15. Attach the front parking brake cable to the parking brake leverl

16. Install the barrel-shaped front cable end fitting into the adjuster track on the pulley

17. Bend the cable retainer tab to its original position on the pulley

18. Make sure the parking brake lever is in the down position

19. Raise and safely support the vehicle

20. Attach the rear cables to the equalizer

21. Carefully lower the vehicle

22. With the parking brake lever in the up position, install the parking brake spring

23. Remove the metal pin from the hole

24. Cycle the parking brake lever 3 times, then install the front floor console.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah, I just got the car and I've been watching e-bay for the GM service manual, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X