Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Treatments?

Hi, All.
    I’ve been reading a lot from searching the forum, but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on engine treatments, i.e. Slick 50. (I couldn’t really find much discussion on it.) Is it bad, good, a waste of money…? I’ve heard that there’s finally been some actual test data that suggests that Slick 50’s cold-start benefits surpass those of even synthetic oils, but I haven’t actually read anything so conclusive. I use plain Mobil 1. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Use good oil. You don't need "treatments".
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Hard to believe anyone is still interested in a product that more than 10 years ago caused the Federal Trade Commission to bring charges of false advertising. The manufacturer(s) of Slick 50 paid a substantial "settlement" of those charges, why denying the charges.

Read this.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/slick.shtm

Then change your oil, in full compliance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ZMax had a nice ad campaign a while back. Turns out it was just tinted mineral oil...

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

I doubt slick 50 is much better.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Thanks guys. That FTC article pretty much sums it up. I wasn't really considering "treatments", just wondering if what I assumed was true.

Matt
          Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

hey guys i use LUCAS in my oil and the injector cleaner i love that stuff. well heck if a 3000 hp car uses it why shouldnt we haha but i love that stuff i use it in my cars as does my dad and grandfather and he uses it in is 468 BBC so i would definatly recomend LUCAS
            94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
            GOT PSi?
            Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
              hey guys i use LUCAS in my oil and the injector cleaner i love that stuff. well heck if a 3000 hp car uses it why shouldnt we haha but i love that stuff i use it in my cars as does my dad and grandfather and he uses it in is 468 BBC so i would definatly recomend LUCAS
              Is LUCAS an additive or an injector cleaner... or both??? I never heard of it. I guess if it's intended for 3000-hp car I wouldn't know. I was considering adding that Chevron Techron stuff. I heard it works real well, and even does well for restoring performance.
              Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Lucas user here...for everything. Tranny, Fuel System, Oil.

265K and still going strong with NO leaks.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

definatly Lucas has a HUGE variety of products for everything oil treatment, injector cleaner tranny everything here is a link to their pageLucas's Products
                  94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                  75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                  GOT PSi?

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                    Lucas user here...for everything. Tranny, Fuel System, Oil.

265K and still going strong with NO leaks.
                    whoa

I wish you many more.
                    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
                      Do you really think that just because an NHRA car has "Lucas" painted on the side, they actually use any Lucas products on the car? Its a rolling billboard, and Lucas pays them big bucks for the use of the billboard. Does this mean that the "Brut" sponsored funny car has found a new use for deodorant.....
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        Do you really think that just because an NHRA car has "Lucas" painted on the side, they actually use any Lucas products on the car? Its a rolling billboard, and Lucas pays them big bucks for the use of the billboard. Does this mean that the "Brut" sponsored funny car has found a new use for deodorant.....

buwahahahahahah
                        1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
                        1995 Silverado-beater truck
                        2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

well the budweiser car they must drink it prior to racing so they have faster responses. BAHAHAHA but yes john force does use lucas i know that much i was standing by the pits when they pull the motor apart and all the lifters and what not are sitting in a bucket of lucas and racing oil. but yea no sense of being serious hahaha, -the-less LUCAS is a wonderful product
                          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                          GOT PSi?

Comment

I will start out by saying that I have used some of the Lucas products, especially the fuel cleaner and synthetic gear oil-

( I will also admit to using PorLon and Slick 50 treatments, I don't think they hurt anything, dunno if they have lasting differences- and I will stand by the Miltech products, based on putting several hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles that have had the Miltech in the transmissions, transfer cases, engine oil, and power steering pumps, with great results)

Tha said, the BobisTHe Oil Guy website apparently doesn't like Lucas oil stabilizer, claiming that it leads to foaming-

Links:
                            http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

http://www.militec-1.com/
                            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Run the best lubricant that your engine/trans/diff calls for, and you will be set...no need for additives. I put Mobil 1 in my cars and it serves me well...Royal Purple is awesome stuff as well. I put what the manufacturer recommends in the trans/transfer case/diffs and that serves me well too. The only additive I ever use is a bottle of STP in my old K5 with worn-out everything...keeps it all stuck together with no smoking.
                              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X