SES light help - system too lean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES light help - system too lean

Had the car three weeks and it threw an SES light!

I was sitting in a parking lot talking to friends the ohter night, car was idling for 10-15 mins.. and the SES light came on. I called a chevy dealer today and they wanted $85 to pull a code!

I went then to autozone and the guy did it free for me. It pulled code P0142 (or 1042?) and said "System too lean (Bank 2).

I pulled the fuse to the PCM earlier today for 20 mins or so, and reset the code. The SES light did not come back on all day. Is it safe to assume it was a fluke and I'm ok?

Any ideas what this most likely is? The car is acting like normal, running just fine.. I did a search and didn't come up with much info except maybe bad O2 sensor? The car is a 96 and just turned 80k miles.

Thanks a lot for any help guys!
    Jeff
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

The next time it sets the SES, check the fuel pressure. It could be the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator, or simply the fuel filter, not enough pressure will give you a lean warning.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

could have been a fluke. Low fuel pressure would have affected both banks, not just one. Could be an 02 sensor starting to get a little lazy.

Comment

Working...
      X