new guy with a 95 supercharged z question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy with a 95 supercharged z question

hey guys im new to the board I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 95 z28 pro charger heads cam full exhaust 42lb injectors but was never dyno tuned it is running extremely rich smell tons of gas but no smoking out the pipes, and my main concern is the fuel smell in the oil. the pcm chip was sent out and just told them what it had. I just ordered the aldl cable with software to do test runs for a/f and spark and possibly try to tune it better. any suggestions with the fuel in the oil...do you think when its properly tuned it won't dump so much gas? sorry if I did not provide enough info im somewhat new to the camaro scene let alone a supercharged setup. any help is definitely appreciated...thanks guys.

How does the system add the extra fuel required for boost? Do you have an FMU, a boost reference fuel pressure regulator, a "super fueler", or a PCM tune utilizing a 2bar MAP sensor?

Your reference to "pcm chip was sent out" is confusing, since your 95 dies not have a removable chip and requires flash programming of the fixed-chip PCM. Maybe that was just a typo? Or have you had your 95 PCM socketed?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hey injuneer thanks for responding...I believe the whole computer was shipped out before I got the car. It definately had a mail order tune it idles perfectly at 1000rpms with out loping, but you can smell a lot of fuel coming from the engine, its just wierd that there isn't black smoke puffing out the back...theres actually no smoke at all...but yet I will get a occasional misfire if I put the pedal to the floor at about 3000rpms and the oil starts to smell like fuel, tail pipes are rich black and the spark plugs are not fouling out. No fmu, I wish I had more info for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 1meangreenz28
        its just wierd that there isn't black smoke puffing out the back...theres actually no smoke at all...but yet I will get a occasional misfire if I put the pedal to the floor at about 3000rpms and the oil starts to smell like fuel, tail pipes are rich black and the spark plugs are not fouling out. .
        Not strange at all. Many times the only indication you get is the smell of excess fuel. Before you start looking at programming problems, check to make sure there are no vacuum leaks and no exhaust leaks, the latter especially. If one exhaust port is leaking, it will throw a false lean and the computer will add fuel to that bank. Observing the sensors in real time with a scanner would be real helpful.

Comment

someone please correct me if im wrong but from the many motors ive dealt with if you see that oil and fuel are mixing that is a sure sign of weak rings that are already busted or on their way out? thats the only place that the two come into close enough contact correct? maybe i helped maybe i made myself look dumb but someone please back my theory up please.
          94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
          1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
          GOT PSi?
          Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

hey 1slo thanks for the input I did read about the rings and stuff its called blow by and I heard if that was the case itd be smokin like crazy..but I have no smoke at all. I could be wrong also just going by what I've read...o2 sensors are a good start once my cable comes in im gonna get all my readouts and hopefully post them. thanks again. anyone else chime in I appreciate it.

Comment

~WELCOME new f-brother~

1. does it backfire when running at operating temperature for 20 mins or so?
              -This would indicate that the fuel smell is indeed coming from the tailpipes, thus unburned fuel is exiting the combustion chamber.
              2. does the car have the original ignition system?
              -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
              2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

hey sk8 thanks for chimin in...I have brand new distributor and rotor tr6 plugs..and ignition control module...it doesn't backfire if I rip through the gears but if im just cruisin along at about 2-3000 rpms and I go to wide open throttle it will backfire every now n then...more often then not...

Comment

Running excessively rich will put fuel in the oil. It doesn't mean there are worn rings. However, if you have enough fuel to bypass the rings, you're washing the lubrication off the cylinder walls, and the rings and the block are taking a beating. And if its thinning the oil enough, the main bearings aren't going to last long. And if the rings are worn already, it just makes it worse. Now you have oil being pulled back up into the combutsion chambers, and you do not want oil in the combustion chamber in a forced induction engine. It lowers the fuel's octane rating. The fact that you don't have a cloud of blue smoke out the back would seem to indicate the rings are still OK. It would appear your problem is primarilly at idle and low engine loads, indicatiing a faulty tune or something throwing the O2 sensors off.

A healthy PCV system can cover up fuel buildup in the oil, allowing the system to pull off the excess vapor and put it back in the combustion chambers. The PCV operation on a forced induction engine requires that the vacuum source be rerouted to the suction side of the blower, to prevent the blower from pressurizing the crankcase under boost.

Without knowing the details of the setup, its going to be hard to pin down.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

hey thanks for correcting me fred iz aprreciatez it. haha you learn something new everyday from a guru
                    94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                    1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                    GOT PSi?
                    Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

lets see the ride,
                      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Working...
                      X