V6 to V8 Swap Help!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 to V8 Swap Help!!!!

Hi guys it has been a while. I just shelved my S10/V-8 conversion to work on the Cam a bit more. I need some serious EXPERIENCED help on this new issue.

I have a '94 coupe with the 3.4 v6 and at 165K miles I do not want to rebuild this boat anchor. I just bought a Z28 donor car, not really sure what year it is but I do know that it is no older than '95. My intentions are rebuild the motor and tranny, and completely overhaul the front suspension in an effort to swap the front clip all in one piece along with the rearend. Has anyone else done this conversion? Needless to say, I have a few questions.

Here are my questions:

1. I assume this V8 is a LT1 motor.

2. Since I have both cars (or atleast most of the Z28), I need to know what I MUST swap to make it work.

3. Is the V6 and V8 ac compressor the same (as the V6 one is brand new)?

4. Are the front and rear springs and shocks the same (as the V6 shocks are brand new)?

5. Are Front brakes the same or at lease interchangable (as the V6 ones are brand new)?

6. (a.)Can true dual exhaust be installed in this application with headers? (b.)Remove cats? Will this effect the ecm?

7. ABS interchange: V6 has rear drum brakes and the Z28 obviously has disks, will the ABS function if I swap the rear end out?

8. What is the "preferred" computer flash re-programer?

9. Do I need to swap the relay/fuse box under the hood?

10. Do I have to swap out the entire wiring harness or just the ecm and the injector harness?

11. In referrence to #8, how far can I go with the cam, injector and mas before I get into ecm issues?

And If this has been covered already by some one else please don't flame me. TIA!!
    There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
    '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
    '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
    '99 Blazer (Mine)

If its a 94-97 F-body then yes you have an LT1 with a MAF system.

Considering you have a donor car I would change out EVERYTHING!

Im talking about spindles, Springs and rearend. Im not sure if the K-Member is the same but if its not then swap that too. I believe the Front V8 F-body Calipers are better than the V6 models but i can be wrong.

The ""preferred" computer flash re-programer" I believe they are refering to a Custom tune. The 94+ f-body PCMs dont have chips so all you have to do is get something like a mail-order tune or something. Once you change the cam I would recommend a custom tune. You simply tell the company that is doing the tune what you have on your car and they install the correct software onto your PCM. After that its simple Plug and play!

Some of the other guys will chime in.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Where are you located??? i have done that exact swap if you are close enough i could take time off work and hook u up if not well work something out this swap is actually pretty easy lol swap everything enough said if you wanna call i can elaborate itll take to long to post this all lol. i can pretty much walk you through the whole swap. 410-920-9133
      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
      GOT PSi?
      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Here's a rundown that will be quite helpful.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the response so quickly!

I picked up the donor this morning. It is a '93 with auto (not a M6, damn!) It is a mild wreck (right r qtr) but all of the running gear, suspension and so forth is there. Only thing missing was 1 wheel (due to the wreck, qtr panel cut it) ds door, some interior and the exhaust is trashed. It has 140K on the odometer and has been sitting for 4 years, so I will rebuild the motor, tranny and rear then swap-a-roo.

I can't compain when all I paid was $120 bucks for the whole car... yeah, who's gonna' bitch right! LOL. Once I strip it, I'll recycle what is leftover and get my initial $120 back. So I see it as a FREE CAR!

Best part, V8 car for V6 insurance premiums... If anyone needs any parts such as the t-tops, ps door, front end, headliner, etc let me know. You can have 'em cheap!!!!

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys ROCK!!!
          There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
          '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
          '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

If the headliner is good, I would be interested. What shape and how much? same goes for the sun visors, triangular shaped panels that cover the mirror mounting bolts on the doors (interior).

Comment

Headliner

Let me take a closer look at the headliner tomorrow. It is a T-top car, and for some reason the headliner and door pannels are tan and the rest is black. Odd combo I know. However the liner looked good at a glance. Will drop you a line tomorrow and can post pix if you like. Does $50 plus freight if all is in good shape sound fair?

'09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
              '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                Let me take a closer look at the headliner tomorrow. It is a T-top car, and for some reason the headliner and door pannels are tan and the rest is black. Odd combo I know. However the liner looked good at a glance. Will drop you a line tomorrow and can post pix if you like. Does $50 plus freight if all is in good shape sound fair?
                Rats...... I need a hartop headliner.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the response so quickly!

I picked up the donor this morning. It is a '93 with auto (not a M6, damn!) It is a mild wreck (right r qtr) but all of the running gear, suspension and so forth is there. Only thing missing was 1 wheel (due to the wreck, qtr panel cut it) ds door, some interior and the exhaust is trashed. It has 140K on the odometer and has been sitting for 4 years, so I will rebuild the motor, tranny and rear then swap-a-roo.

I can't compain when all I paid was $120 bucks for the whole car... yeah, who's gonna' bitch right! LOL. Once I strip it, I'll recycle what is leftover and get my initial $120 back. So I see it as a FREE CAR!

Best part, V8 car for V6 insurance premiums... If anyone needs any parts such as the t-tops, ps door, front end, headliner, etc let me know. You can have 'em cheap!!!!

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys ROCK!!!
                  btw the 93 LT1 is a speed densty set-up
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Hey I need a t-top liner. PM me if you're interested in getting rid of it. I might not get back to you right away. We are leaving for Daytona tonight. I don't care about the fabric, only the shell. Mine has disenigrated around the edges from moisture, it's recovered but it still looks like pooh.
                    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

hey ya know when i did the swap i used that website and it didnt help me out any at all except for what years would swap with what
                      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                      GOT PSi?
                      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

'95 Donor/Lifting body

Not that I believe it will make any real dif, the donor is a '95 not a '93. FYI.

Help me out here guys, is there a printed sequence for dropping the k-frame and motor out from under the car? I am sure I could figure it out, however any time savings would be greatly appreicated.

Also, has anyone come up with any creative methods for dropping it with-out access to a lift?

'09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
                        '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

Also, has anyone come up with any creative methods for dropping it with-out access to a lift?
                          Yup. 5 strong friends to lift the nose up and secure to the rafters with chains.

Comment

Working...
                          X