Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $3K to spend, what are the best power add-ons

'94 LT1/A4 Camaro:
    I am doing a 3.4 to LT1 swap. Beyond the cost of the rebuild for the motor and tranny I have a $3,000 budget for the exhaust and anyother toys I want to add. So here is the mission. Spend the $3,000. No NOS or super charging of any sort. Car has to be driven regularly (though not daily) and must be dependable and not a total beast on gas. Remember you have to include headers and exhaust to the equation which will probably eat up a grand right off the bat. Mods don't have to be limited to the engine. Give me your best shot and thanks for the advice.

Again, NO nitrous, NO turbo or blower. And the bottom end is to remain stock.
    There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
    '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
    '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
    '99 Blazer (Mine)

if I only had $3000 to spend, I would have the heads ported and get a mild cam with 1.6 roller rockers. That will work fine for a stock bottom end, then you'll realize more gains with the headers and exhaust.

Comment

That would really wake it up. Follow it up with a custom tune and you should be looking at high 300whp numbers. and should be pretty reliable. Your other issue might be drivetrain.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

When you allocate your budget, don't look only at the engine. You will need drivetrain improvements and suspension improvements to use the new HP. Is your new V8 setup an M6 or an A4? Did your V6 have the updgraded rear axle package with a limited slip (posi) rear and disc brakes?

If you don't have a posi rear, you have to buy a used 10-bolt assembly out of a V8 car. That will get you posi and the disc brakes. Then get a set of sticky tires. With all that new-found power, its not going to do you any good if the car just sits there and spins the wheels (or 1 wheel)

With an automatic, you will want a high stall converter, and move up to 3.73 gears. With a 6-speed, consider a clutch upgrade and 4.10 gears.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Complete Donor

Yes! I have a Z28 complete donor with A4. It was hit on the pass side rear qtr.
          There is no problem so great that cannot be resolved with the right amount of explosives!!!

'94 LT1/A4 Clone Stock (for now)
          '94 S10 Vortech 350/M5/Ford 8.8 Rear/3&3" Drop (shelved temporarily for the above clone)
          '09 Jeep Liberty (Her's)
          '99 Blazer (Mine)

Comment

Slap on a supercharger. Problem solved
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
              Slap on a supercharger. Problem solved
              With $3k, That would be hard to do right. I agree with fred and do some Engine and follow it with some suspension. The ReLoc. Brackets, Control arms, Panhard, and a set of stickies. If there is money left over Gears.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
              X