NFB, Buick Rive, Pulsing fuel pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB, Buick Rive, Pulsing fuel pump

My daughter just got my mom's '95 Buick Riviera, 82,500 miles, 3.8 v-6. Nice boat, actually a foot longer than our Chevy Suburban.

Anoying problem. The fuel pump cycles every 5 seconds or so, and dims the lights (similar to a/c compressor kicking in). The fuel pressure is 45 - 47 psi with the regulator vacum connected, and 55 - 57 with the vacum disconnected. It does this at idle, and at 3000 rpm, and when driving.

Any ideas? fuel pump getting ready to croak? pump relay switch bad? Any other goofy thing to check? I did replace the fuel filter.

No drivability problem other than the lites dimming.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

any ideas?
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

that's a nice car. i have a 98 s(series II, supercharged). sorry i don't have an answer for you
      86 Camaro (350)
      79 Blazer (FI 350)
      98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
      96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

Are you sure its not a '85? the newer ones I thought were pretty small by comparison to the older steel bumper models of the 70's.
        '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

Yes its a '95, the newyt style. The the '97 burban and it in the garage at the same time, and its a foot longer.

The '85 was a short square box looking thing like the Olds Torefedo.

Real nice highway cruizer....

Comment

anybody, any clues?

Comment

try this link. It is a general GM queation forum
              http://www.gmperformance.org
              '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

Buick Riviera

I had 2 rivs,they were both 95, I sold them all. The last one I got had that fuel pump problem. But mine was not working at all. Before I replaced the pump I took a look at the program we had in the shop, and other than fuse and relay the ecm controls the fuel pump too. Be careful with replacing the parts with the riv because the nothing is cheap for that car. That pump i around $400-$500 but i got mine used from the junkyard ( i bougnt the whole tank). I would say check the ECM outputs for the fuel pump.The output should be at the rignt voltage. You may have to find a diagram first but if you need help e-mail me I will find them for you. (you can ask me anythink about this car)

Comment

Fixed it! Turned out to be the alternator overcharging at 18 volts. The Autozone test failed to detect an overcharge problem.

Also the gmperformance.org site is gone now.

Comment

Working...
                  X