NEED HELP ! ! !Car Running Rich . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP ! ! !Car Running Rich . . .

Alright it's not an F-body but i figure U guys will definatley know more than I do . . . and I'm trying to help a friend. He has a 91 Lumina (OBD-1??) and his cat was clogged up so he cut it out and welded a straight pipe in it and now it's running rich and I mean RICH ! ! I assume this is because his O2 sensor is thrown off without the cat there . . ? Sound right?

My question is if this is the case could he just get an O2 sim instead of a new cat ? If so could someone direct me 2 a website where I could purchase one . . .
    (I already told him he'll have 2 change the plugs and what not . . .)

Thanks for any Help guys ! !
    Red 97 V6 (STOCK), Black 96 Ram Air WS6 M6 5.0 PRO, skip shift delete basicaly stock, for now . . .

An OBDI 91 Lumina will not have a secondary 02 sensor to monitor cat effeciency. Therfore you cannot get a 02 simulator, the primary 02 sensor must be in working order for the computer to read the mixture. Any stored codes?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Joe

I'm not sure about codes, it's a friends car and I only have an OBD-2 scanner for the birds. . . all I can say for certain is it is running RICH now like when he drives by you can smell the gasoline. Sorry I don't have much info
      Red 97 V6 (STOCK), Black 96 Ram Air WS6 M6 5.0 PRO, skip shift delete basicaly stock, for now . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Red97v6Bird
        Thanks for the reply Joe

I'm not sure about codes, it's a friends car and I only have an OBD-2 scanner for the birds. . . all I can say for certain is it is running RICH now like when he drives by you can smell the gasoline. Sorry I don't have much info
        Maybe rich.... maybe not. The catalytic converter scrubs harmful emissions from the exhaust. The benefit is that the exhaust smells much cleaner. When you remove the cat, you can expect the exhaust to stink a bit more. You can pull the codes from a 91 by shorting a couple of terminals in the diagnostic port. It has a built in code flasher..... I would suggest your friend picks up a haynes manual or the like from a parts store.

Comment

No this is more than just the smell of non-cated exhaust . . . hmm shoot I thought for sure it was a O2 gone bad . . . he might have to pic up a haynes

Thanks Joe

Comment

Working...
          X