T-56 Racing Gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-56 Racing Gears

hey guys this might sound dumb. but my buddy did it in his 04 WRX his tranny blew and he put a set of racing gears into it. it didnt damage his MPG to bad mabye 2-3 MPG and this thing would hold up to anything. im looking for the same thing when i do have to replace the clutch i would like to get the tranny rebuilt at the same time while its out and im also not sure what would be the best clutch to run. i basically want something thats very good in quality im not worried on money cause i still have alot of time even racing it doesnt slip so i got a while but im curious on:

1. who has the best clutch (manufactuer) and/or the best bang for the buck.

2. where could i go for a set or racing (hardened) gears or do i just need to buy a entirely rebuilt T-56?

thanks guys
    94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
    1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
    GOT PSi?
    Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

http://www.ddperformance.com/
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

What do you mean by "racing" gears? Are you looking for different gear ratios? Or are you looking for stronger gears, synchros, shifter forks, etc.? What kind of "racing" - drag racing, Auto-X, road racing???? Each of those requires a differnt approach to gear ratio selection.

The stock T56 will handle up to 600HP. There are issues with the forks and the synchros ande blocker rings if you abuse it. On top of that, there are three different sets of "stock" gear ratios, including the M28 and M29 trannies that were used in the 93, and the MN6 that was used from 94-97.

The two top gears in the T56 are overdrives, including a deep 0.50:1 in the MN6. There's no reason "racing" gears should reduce your fuel mileage.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

just stronger gears fred. i guess my buddy went with a different gear ratio. i really dont know anyhting at all really when it comes to trannys. im actaully kind of afraid to jump into trannys. but yea im just looking for a bullet proof tranny that will take a weekend beating but then turn around and handle a 6-8 hr long drive on a highway. i just dont wanna have any doubts about my tranny
        94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
        75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
        GOT PSi?

Comment

Replacing gears depending on which gear isn't something you can do without a press to take the gear off and put a new one on.

The only real advice I can give for an upgrade without digging in real deep is to first replace your shifter with one with a mechanical stop. T5s and T56s are bad about bending shifter forks because of over shifting (slamming) it into 3rd gear. The stop screw will help a lot with that. If you want to go further into that you can go into the transmission and replace the aluminum shifter fork with a steel one from that web site I mentioned.

Other than that any upgrades with gears and syncrhos require taking the main shaft out, then you are getting into an area where you might mess up the backlash.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

are you crazy i tackled the swap myself yes, i tackled a paint job myself yes, im close to tackling a rear myself yes, but a tranny HELL TO THE FREAKING NO!!!!! im scared to death of those things i dotn even wanna think about tearing one of those things apart ima take it to a shop ill deal with the extra dollars. a good friend of mine works at a pretty well recommended tranny shop and he'll get a pretty good price for me. but thanks though guys it really helps me alot cause ive defintaly slammed 3rd a few times and even once got it jammed like between 1st and 3rd it sucks lol
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            GOT PSi?

Comment

hey jeff how much can i look to put out for everything if i get all the stuff changed out for steel instead of the alum. pins and what not?
              94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
              75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
              GOT PSi?

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
                hey jeff how much can i look to put out for everything if i get all the stuff changed out for steel instead of the alum. pins and what not?
                Not a clue.

Comment

Working...
                X