Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah, the sweet taste of power steering fluid.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, the sweet taste of power steering fluid.....

I will start my story by telling you what i was doing under my car. About a month ago, at about 2:30 pm (this day I had worked 5am-2pm) i installed my anti-sway bars from Suspension Technologies. The install went pretty smoothly and i was very pleased with the peformance.

A couple days ago i noticed a jingling sound (like a washer*) coming from the undercarriage. I suspected it was the right sway bar end link, i checked it and confirmed that it was. So i jacked it up, and crawled under. As i was tightening the bolt and the nut, it felt as if it wasn't getting tighter. Also a drip of fluid fell right into my open mouth. YUM!** The washer was still loose against bushing. It became very hard to tighten it any more. So i called it a day.

The jingling was still present and this morning i inspected the end link again. I found that i had installed it wrong!!! The 2" long metal spacer was directly contacting the bushing and had actually gone all the way through it . i pulled the two apart and inspected them for damage. They appeared ok, so i installed them THE RIGHT Way this time.

*Not the same jingling sound i have posted here about....That turned out to be an exhaust mount plate washer. A few dabs of RTV shut that thing the hell up!@

**In case you are wondering, power steering fluid has a very mild oil taste--much like mineral oil--it has a bittersweet finish and a lingering aftertaste with notes of coffee and coolant.

the fluid was dripping from my P/S pump. Where should i start to diagnose the origin of the leak?
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

**In case you are wondering, power steering fluid has a very mild oil taste--much like mineral oil--it has a bittersweet finish and a lingering aftertaste with notes of coffee and coolant.
    Personally I prefer brake fuild, much dryer to the pallet.

Oh and tranny grease will leave your hair with a nice healthy sheen.

Where should i start to diagnose the origin of the leak?
    Directly above where your head was?
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
      Directly above where your head was?
      LOL
      It was coming off of the P/S pump...is there any common point of failure with the PS system? i will check all the hoses/return lines/ etc.
      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
      X