Rear suspension bottoms out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear suspension bottoms out

I have a 79 T/A with the WS6 package. I put a new set of 4 leaf, 126lb Eaton springs in the back. I also put new springs in the front. I still was bottoming out the springs in back on larger bumps. I put a set of overload springs on the shocks and fixed the problem temporarily. Could I have missed something that would cause the rear to bottom out? The new springs have no arc in them with only the weight of the car and sit exactly flat.

Did you replace the shocks? That's what helps slow down the compression of the springs. Do you still have the jounce bumpers in place in the back?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yes, Shocks, all the rubber bumpers and bushings, a complete rebuild of the suspension.

Comment

Loose some weight. haha

Just re-read the post.

Im not sure what they are called. but on my truck, at the end of the leaf spring, there is a coupler/shackle that connects the spring the the frame. Does your car have these?
        No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
          Loose some weight. haha

Just re-read the post.

Im not sure what they are called. but on my truck, at the end of the leaf spring, there is a coupler/shackle that connects the spring the the frame. Does your car have these?
          all leaf springs have a shackle unless its a "slip type" but i've never seen the latter on a car
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Time for air shocks or an airbag kit. Springs sound like the spring constant is too low.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X