Engine Stumbling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stumbling

My car stumbles, (maybe missfires) under certain conditions. For example cruising on the highway at 65 in 6th it is fine on a level surface, but an incline needing more power will cause it to stumble. There is not SES light flashing or constant. It also seems to run fine anytime it is NOT low rpm with a load. It runs good under normal driving or hard acceleration.

This started 4 weeks after a tune up (plugs, wires, Opti)
    I have since: replaced the opti again
    checked for arcing of wires (metal boot covers are gone)
    replaced ignition coil
    checked ignition control module ok at autozone

My suspicions are anything from fuel injectors, to o2 sensors, or pcm.
    Could it be any of these?

Any ideas?

Always appreciate the input.
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Comment

Yes,
      Forgot to say, fuel filter is about 2 years old. It does get fuel system cleaner every oil change also.
      96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

What kind of plugs did you install?

Comment

The plugs are good, NGK iridium, the wires are cheaper autozone wires, but it doesn't seem to be them either.

Comment

Problem solved!
            Thanks for the all the advice.
            After taking to a shop, they found the number 6 wire was too close to the header and was burnt. I am amazed after seeing the wire that it was able to give a spark at all.
            I bought some firesleeves to help protect the wires, and prevent this from happening again.

It is time to see what she can do at the track, with all the fresh parts. It sure does feel strong. I'll post when I get some times.

Comment

Working...
            X