idle air control question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle air control question

i took out my iac to clean it and noticed that it does not move. the spring moves but not the long pin. is this normal or is it bad. cleaning it did not help the car still idles at 1500. it will drop to aroud 1200 with the ac on. so should i replace the iac or is it something else. thanks

You are not supposed to try to move the pintle on an old IAC. That can ruin it. Try doing the IAC reset.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

i tried to reset it before i took it out. it didnt work. the car runs the same as it did before i cleaned it. its a 95 formula

Comment

I learned that lesson the hard way $110 from NAPA.
        2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Originally posted by msfyter
          I learned that lesson the hard way $110 from NAPA.
          Wow my 94 V6 IAC was only 40 bucks

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

AutoZone has one for 40.00 You probably need another one now....

Comment

i think i needed a new one before.

Comment

LS1 parts are always more $$
                2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

You are 100% right.. Autozones price is 103.99 for the LS1

Comment

ok well i went looking for the iac but of the local parts stores had it. its around $100 by the way. $50 if you have a oil cooler. so the parts guy thinks it could be the tps so i got it. after i put the new tps on the car it ran like total crap. spitting and spuddeing idleing real high then low and it set off my check engine light. i put the old one back on and car runs fine just idles high still. the parts guy thinks both the iac and tps are bad does this sound right

Comment

Originally posted by marlboroa
                      ok well i went looking for the iac but of the local parts stores had it. its around $100 by the way. $50 if you have a oil cooler. so the parts guy thinks it could be the tps so i got it. after i put the new tps on the car it ran like total crap. spitting and spuddeing idleing real high then low and it set off my check engine light. i put the old one back on and car runs fine just idles high still. the parts guy thinks both the iac and tps are bad does this sound right
                      I think the parts guy should stick to pulling parts off the shelves and leave diagnostics to people who know what they are doing.

Some possible causes of a high idle speed are:

Vacuum leak
                      IAC malfunction
                      Sticking throttle or throttle blades
                      malfuction in the ECM program

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        I think the parts guy should stick to pulling parts off the shelves and leave diagnostics to people who know what they are doing.

Some possible causes of a high idle speed are:

Vacuum leak
                        IAC malfunction
                        Sticking throttle or throttle blades
                        malfuction in the ECM program

me too
                        i have been looking everywhere for a vacuum leak but i cant find any. i would have changed the iac if they had one. the throttle blades open and close fine. i was wondering about the ecm too. i cant check it as the car is a obd1 that has the obd2 connector. i need to order the cable so i can hook it up to a laptop. the car runs great. it does not miss or spudder in any gears, has good power. it does get hot if it sits for a while with the ac off but my camaro did that too and its 110 outside today. autozone said check back with them at the end of the week to see if they got a iac in. does anyone know why if you dont have a oil cooler it cost twice as much.

Comment

Originally posted by marlboroa
                          me too
                          i have been looking everywhere for a vacuum leak but i cant find any.
                          The vacuum leak could be a bad PCV valve too.

When I suspect a vacuum leak, I get a can of starting fluid and with the engine running, give a few quick shots of the stuff around the vacuum lines. If the idle gets affected when you spray an area, you've found the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            The vacuum leak could be a bad PCV valve too.

When I suspect a vacuum leak, I get a can of starting fluid and with the engine running, give a few quick shots of the stuff around the vacuum lines. If the idle gets affected when you spray an area, you've found the leak.
                            That's exactly what I did when we re-did the head gaskets. The high idle was result of a small intake manifold leak IIRC. The RPMS rose when it was sprayed.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                            X