Fuel Pressure Gauge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pressure Gauge?

Embarrassed to even ask, but would a fuel pressure gauge originally used for a TPI motor connect to the Schrader valve on an LT1 because my gauge is reading 0 with the IGN on & with the motor running? I screwed the gauge on as far as it would go but 0 is obviously wrong because the motor is running.

The gauge fittling must have a pin in the middle to depress the shrader valve that is on the fuel rail port or you won't see any pressure.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Had to remove the STB in order to tighten down the gauge all the way. 48 psi with the vacuum line disconnected and a constant 40 with it off. Didn't drive the car because I'm still afraid of it dying. SES light is still on, darn P0100 just won't go away.

GM MAF sensor is connected now, seems to run fine. Don't have my scanner right now so I can't erase the MAF code. The engine always died after I erased the code when the Granatelli sensor was hooked up. I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can get the scanner back.

Motor ran for at least an hour and fuel pressure stayed at a constant 40 psi, can I rule out the fuel pump causing the motor to die at this point? Thanks

Comment

P0100 can be caused by lack of power to the MAF sensor. It is a fairly common problem on the 97's for some reason. With the key on, check the voltage between the pink wire and the black/white wire in the MAF harness connector. Should be about 12V. If it is, while the meter is still connected, start jiggling the harness to see if there is an intermittent short.

The pink wire seems to break somewhere deep in the harness on the 97's. It comes from a fuse in the underhood fuse box. There are several other loads on the same wire, but they are taken off the wire before it reaches the end of the line at the MAF sensor.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred,
          Reading 11.69 V between the Pink & Black wire with the IGN on and the Pigtail connected to the stock GM MAF sensor. Reading does not change when I wiggle the harness. Should I replace the MAF at this point? Thanks

Comment

Do you have a frequency scale on your multi-meter? If so, measure the frequency across the yellow MAF signal wire and the balck/white wire. You should see something in the range of 2,400-2,800Hz at idle. At WOT/max HP you should see around 9,000-9,300Hz (stockish engine).
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Not sure, don't see Hz on the meter only AC DC Ohm. I'll get the proper meter and go from there.

Comment

Working...
              X