Oil Cap Filter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cap Filter?

I've been seeing this around a bit. It looks like a miniature air filter mounted to the oil filler in place of a solid cap. Sorry I don't have pix to show.

I'm wondering what the idea of having one of these is. Might seem mundane but I have no idea why you'd want a vent on the oil filler.
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

PVC system, most run back into the manifold or intake, if its the intake, alot of aftermarket ones dont have a opening so u just throw a filter cap there
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

So in the case of my 3800, where the pcv is practically in my intake, would there be a benefit to venting the valve covers?

Comment

Originally posted by 3800_Firebird
        So in the case of my 3800, where the pcv is practically in my intake, would there be a benefit to venting the valve covers?
        None, whatsoever. The PCV system is the most effecient in removing harmful gases in the crankcase.

I think what you are trying to describe is a breather.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The PCV system is "closed". The air that is used ends up in the combustion chamber, so it has to be measured. If you "open" the system with a breather, you defeat this feature, and gain absolutely nothing.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Back in the 'old', pre-emmission world, the crankcase was just vented to the atmosphere. Every time a piston travels down, it pressurizes the crankcase- They used to just put a simple filter there to keep out boulders and large flying insects.

With the advent of emmission controls, all crankcase vapors had to be vented back into the intake, and burned. The beginning of the PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation)

On a tangent, I have found, doing many engine swaps between various year engines and bodies, that, if you hook up the vacuum lines wrong, you can make some really interesting whistling noises under the hood-
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              The PCV system is "closed". The air that is used ends up in the combustion chamber, so it has to be measured. If you "open" the system with a breather, you defeat this feature, and gain absolutely nothing.
              I figured, but I was just curious why you would want to vent the crankcase that way in a modern engine. This was on a 3800 II supercharged, transplanted in a Grand Am. I haven't been able to relocate it, I more or less stumbled across it.

Thanks guys! That satiates my curiousity.

Comment

So if i threw one of these onto the hawk, nothing would happen? I just think it looks better than having the cap on there.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Joshu
                  So if i threw one of these onto the hawk, nothing would happen? I just think it looks better than having the cap on there.
                  Nothing, no. You'll cause the engine to pull in unmetered and less filtered air into the engine. The computer will also have to make a small compensation for the change. The PCV system works better than any breather. You'd be taking an efficient system and making it a poor one (to the long term detriment of your engine). I can't imagine that the oil cap is so ugly, that you would want to do that.
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X