Hypertech Claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertech Claims

So I'm watching Hot Rod TV and they do a bit on Hypertech Programmers. Well, there are reps on saying that the new Silverado has gains of 90 HP and 140 lb-ft. Are they just pulling this out of their --- or what?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

There is much more power to be unlocked with turbos and diesels.

Comment

Re: Hypertech Claims

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
      So I'm watching Hot Rod TV and they do a bit on Hypertech Programmers. Well, there are reps on saying that the new Silverado has gains of 90 HP and 140 lb-ft. Are they just pulling this out of their --- or what?
      Sounds like a pretty bold statement to me. They usually say things like "up to xx hp", which covers the most territory.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

How much would you expect to get out of a stock lt1?
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
          How much would you expect to get out of a stock lt1?
          Somewhere between "0" and "". I could never measure any difference with the HPP+ "power tuning". One of the Chevy mags did a test on a 96 Z28, and it lost 5HP with the power tuning. Then they installed the 160deg 'stat and revised the fan on/off temps, and got +15HP, but I never was able to measure anything like that.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ok now what

I was going to get a hypertech so I could go to a 160 t stat an afew other mods . now i am thinking what is going on are they no good or what. i am not looking to get a ton of hp. Just want to chang a few things.

Comment

You still have some options...I don't have personal experience with hypertech, but haven't heard too many great things. That's why I questioned that claim.

There are other PCM tuners out there that do a great job. pcmforless.com and ed wright have many happy customers.

I use a superchips programmer I bought used for $100. It will allow you to adjust shift points, gear ratio's, tire height, fan temps, and remove the speed limiter. Shift firmness has to be specified upon order. It will update fuel/air tables for all throttle positions not just wide open throttle (ala hypertech). I experienced an increase in power (though not dyno tested) and much improved throttle response and shift points. In addition an increase in gas milage. I recorded my overall best 29mpg with the performance program.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

They are useful for changing fan on/off temps, shift points/firmness on A4's, removing the MPH limiter, adjusting redline, swapping out rear axle ratios or tire sizes. Rather than buy new, look for a "used" unit. Seem to sell for less than 1/2 of the cost of a new one. Just make sure the seller has restored his car to the stock program, or the HPP will not work on any other car.

An alternative would be software like LT1_Edit which would allow you to change everything listed, PLUS timing maps, A/F ratio set points, idle speed, and many more performance related items, including defeating OBD diagnostics for deleted AIR, EGR, etc.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So this is probably a stupid question but, can all of these read fault codes too? I downloaded scantool but haven't had time to try it.

Changing the fan shift pts and reading the fault codes are what I am most interested in.

96 TA Sold!
                  87 TA Sold!
                  80 Z28 Sold!
                  74 Formula Sold!
                  73 Z28 Sold!
                  69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I have a Hypertech and have been thinking of going with the Ed Wright programming. One question though - with the Hypertech, if the car goes in for service you can set the tuning back to stock then reprogram it. What do you do with the Ed Wright programming since you have to send in the computer?
                    '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                      So this is probably a stupid question but, can all of these read fault codes too?
                      Superchips and Hypertech will not read trouble codes.

As far as taking my car in for service. I just leave the performance program in. Never been questioned about it and as far as I know it shouldn't void the warrenty....someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Actually the hypertech WILL read codes...IF...you plunk down a little more $$ for their scan cartridge. I have one of these (got it used :-) and it pulls and resets codes in addition to some real-time sensor data and logging. I concur that the "Power Tuning" is about worthless, but the other adjustments and the ability to add the scanner makes it somewhat useful.

Also, I would recomend ALWAYS de-tuning your car back to stock before taking it in for service...this way the HPP+ is not "locked" to your car's computer. I've always been afraid the the dealer might dork up the computer somehow and you could end up with a locked out HPP unit.

As for the Silverado getting 90/140 gains from a HPP+.... Saaay Whaaaat?? Only way I can imagine this is if there was some torque management kind'a crap messing up the original dyno run and the HPP removed it.

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

I have been happy with Hypertech, probably something i shouldnt have done with my A4, i set the rev limiter to 6600 i have seen it jump that high, It is cold weather now, i cannot keep my car on the damn road. I shifts very hard now I have taken it to the track on cold mornings... I ran 12.9 and 12.7 (after i swept the track.. i am very impressed with my car in cold weather i also added the 160 stat.

Comment

Anyone know if a company out there makes a programmer for a 1993 3.4 liter auto i havent been able to find 1 anywhere

Comment

I believe for that car, you need a "chip" rather than a programmer. Sorry I don't have any more info, maybe someone else has some ideas?

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Working...
                              X