LS1 4L60E in a LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 4L60E in a LT1

I know it will work but whats all different...is the tail shaft housing different??

96 Black A4 T-Top TransAm
    ARP Main Studs...ARP Head Bolts...Edelbrock Heads...CC306...Manley One Piece Pushrods...Stainless 1.6 Roller Rockers...Comp Guideplates...3000 Stall...MSD 6AL...BBK Shorties...Magnaflow Catback...Performabuilt Level 2 4L60E...NOS 150 Shot...98' Up Front End Conversion...Granatelli Air Lid(LS1 Style Intake)...MadTuner.com Tune

Run Your Car...Not Your Mouth!

Originally posted by BlackTA96
    I know it will work but whats all different...is the tail shaft housing different??
    No it won't. The bell housing bolt pattern is different.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

i think its the same...i had a friend of mine put one in his lt1...he said all he had to do was some kind of modification to tail housing...

96 Black A4 T-Top TransAm
      ARP Main Studs...ARP Head Bolts...Edelbrock Heads...CC306...Manley One Piece Pushrods...Stainless 1.6 Roller Rockers...Comp Guideplates...3000 Stall...MSD 6AL...BBK Shorties...Magnaflow Catback...Performabuilt Level 2 4L60E...NOS 150 Shot...98' Up Front End Conversion...Granatelli Air Lid(LS1 Style Intake)...MadTuner.com Tune

Run Your Car...Not Your Mouth!

Comment

Jeff's right, it will not fit due to the bellhousing. Isn't it a two piece transmission? I recall there's a bellhousing bolt at 12 o'clock on the LS1 4L60E, where the LT1 has two around 10 and 2 o'clock.

I wonder if you can get a modified bell housing piece for the LS1 tranny...but that would almost make it senseless to buy an LS1 tranny - creating the custom pieces to make it work may be too much work and money.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

LS1

LT1

Maybe you can leave the top bolt out and the other 6 are in the same spot. The bellhousing is certainly different.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Out of sheer morbid curiousity, how do you disconnect the flywheel to converter bolts on the new 1-piece bellhousings? I ask because I've got 2 4L60E's that have that type of bellhousing, and the last time I was doing an oil change I noticed there's no inspection cover to remove (nice), but also no real easy (at least not that was apparent) way to take those bolts out.

Comment

Are you referring to the newer 4L60E 2 peice design? If so, the converter bolts are accessible by removing an "inspection cover". Here are photos and a description: http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall

If you're referring to the older 1 piece design, just remove the converter cover (and probably starter too, I don't remember), and the bolts are accessible from the bottom. Watch out though - it is tough to break those bolts loose and the flex plate teeth are sharp.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

FWIW there was a guy on another bulletin board that told me had had used an LS1 auto trans behind an LT1 and said it bolted up fine.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X