gap between right fron fender and front clip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gap between right fron fender and front clip

I have a 2000 Firebird and I have noticed a gap between the right fender and front clip forming. I have looked and looked for a way to tighten it up and get the front clip back in place but had no luck finding where you tighten it up. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

There are securing bolts under the car at the bottom of the fender and one you can see with the door open and looking forward inside the fender. You don't say whether your gap is front to back or inside to out.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Its at the front

Its right at the front where the fender meets the front end

Comment

Do you mean the lower part of the fender, between the wheel opening and the leading edge of the door sticks out "sideways" compared to the profile of the lower door? If so, it is a very common problem.

Look under the quarter panel, at the point where the front fender meets the door. The fender is plastic, and has a tab that sticks straight down, and attaches to a matching metal tab that is part of the unibody. If someone ever tried to jack the car at the point, the tab is most likely bent outwards, moving the bottom edge of the fender outwards, so it no longer lines up with the leading edge of the door.

You MAY be able to pull the fender back in simply by GENTLY pushing the metal tab inwards at the bottom, until it pulls the fender in to the point where it is even with the door. However, in severe cases the plastic fender tab may be broken off, or bending the tabs back into a perfectly vertical position may cause them to break off.

Does that sound like the problem you are trying to fix?
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Your car may have been jacked on the flanges.
          If that's the problem, they can be straigthened.

Comment

I put a picture up of it

THe arrows are where the gap is
            Attached Files

Comment

While this is a diagram of the Camaro, your Firebird should be similar in the way the bumper mounts. You may be able to do something in the area of #5.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The problem everyone had with your description was the use of the term "front clip"...... that's not where your gap is, per the photo. Its between the front fender and the bumper cover. The "clip" is EVERYTHING in front of the cowl, including the fenders, hood and bumper cover.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                X