Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for wheels for my TA, I want FAT tires and BIG rims, best choice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for wheels for my TA, I want FAT tires and BIG rims, best choice?

Hey guys,

I've looked around and I see a lot of options for wheels and tires for my 1997 Trans Am. Some guys have 315 sized tires on the back and they look awesome. Nice and fat!

I want a good sized rim, 19 inch I think would look great. Now how fat of a tire can I get too with that?

Can someone steer me in the right direction with this? Or give me an example of something you may have purchased that fits my likings?

Please, no bashing about how big rims look bad on a car like this, because I think they look awesome!

Thanks,

...Tim

19"s may be too much and will make your rear brakes look tiny. I have 18"x10.5" rear rims with 295/35/18 tires and with a 1.2" drop it fills out the rear wells nice. No rubbing.
    2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Hey

Would you mind taking some pictures of your rims for me? From the side and from the back. I'd like to see how fat they look. My email is Timbers69@yahoo.com

I would appreciate it!! I've seen a lot of cool rims, but from the back they look too skinny. Fat tires look great...

...Tim

Comment

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture123.jpg
        http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture151.jpg
        http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture152.jpg

295/35/18 rears 58mm offset- trimmed bump stop 1/2" and use adj panhard

275/40/17 fronts 54mm offset
        2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Originally posted by msfyter
          Man those 295 look like they are not wide enough for those wheels. the sidewall does not look parralle with the wheel.

Nice rims and sharp car n0ne the less. Those are the rimes I wan but all black.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Hmm

Cool size rims, I don't know if I like the tires too much cause they go inwards. Is that just the style of tire you have? I know some of them do that.

I wonder if anyone makes a 19x10.5" rim or even 20x10.5" for the back?

...Tim

Comment

You do realize that running 19's or 20's on a live axle rear suspension, with the rubber-band thin sidewalls that are required to match the stock tire diameter, will, in addition to having a bit of a (subjective) "ricer" look:

-ride harshly
              -expose the rims to damage from potholes
              -provide minimal protection from curb rash
              -make your brakes look tiny, as already mentioned above
              -reduce straight line traction to "0"
              -handle poorly in the corners
              -require costly tires

19's and 20's are for show cars. They offer no positive performance improvements on a live axle suspension, and in fact can have very negative affects.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hmm

So you are saying 18" at the max huh? Whats the fattest 18" wheel I can get for the back 10.5"? Do they make an 11" ?

I understand what you mean though, I'm used to the harshness on my other car, but my other car is an independant rear.

I think 18s will look fine, as long as I can get some nice wide tires.

What size tires fit on the 10.5" wheel then?

Thanks!

...Tim

Comment

You can fit an 11.0" wide wheel in the back, but it has to have the correct offset (45-50mm). The largest tire you would typically put on an 18x10.5" or 18x11.0" wheel would be a 315/30-18. You may need to hammer the inner fenders, do some grinding on the jounce bumper bracket, roll the inner lip on the fender or recenter the body over the rear axle using an adjustable panhard rod.

I have a post on another site outlining the fitment for 17x11's with a 315/35-17. Everything would be virtually identical with an 18x11 with the 315/30-18 tires.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...87&postcount=9

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                  X