Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Mileage Engine Oil Additive: Good or Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Mileage Engine Oil Additive: Good or Bad?

Im thinking of putting some of the High mileage engine oil additive in the Camaro but I cant recall if it is recommended or not. I knew once upon a time but now I have forgotten. Any body have any Ideas or personal opinions toward doing this?
    Specs:
    1998 Camaro
    3.8L Series 2
    5 Speed Borg Warner T5 Transmission
    American Racing Rims (Going to be replaced in the near future)
    Flowmaster Exhaust (Going to be replaced in the near future)

Plans:
    Pacesetter Headers
    Flowmaster Dual Exhast w/Cut Out
    Whisper Airlid with K&N Filter or K&N Cold Air Intake(Havnt decided yet)
    High flow Cat
    So Far......

LUCAS ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!
    94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
    1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
    GOT PSi?
    Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Used Synthetic Lucas for years now...269K and no leaks nor does it burn oil. Got a small rear main seal leak that is hardly noticable, smudge drips if any at all. Mobil1 + Lucas = Seriously good stuff.

Some live by Lucas, others blah snake oil...but I say it's the joint and will continue to use it. If you add anything...make it Lucas.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Where can I buy it at? Auto Zone? I think that I have heard of lucas before. You also suggest Mobile 1 Oil? I have always used Pennzoil or Castrol but You guys would know better then me. Mobile 1 synthetic?
        BTW thank you for the replies.
        Specs:
        1998 Camaro
        3.8L Series 2

Plans:
        Pacesetter Headers
        High flow Cat
        So Far......

Comment

i use Lucas Synthetic with Mobil 1 synthetic. I have yet to have a problem with that combination......
          -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Anybody want to quantify how much to use of Lucas in M1?
            1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
            2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
            1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

1 qt for 1 qt of oil...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

i also use a 1:1 ratio
                -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

It's probably a good thing for an engine with an unknown history. But I'm a firm believer in that if an engine is cared for, it won't need any additives. For example, about 5 years ago my dad's truck dumped its timing chain (stupid nylon-coated aluminum cam sprocket). When we pulled it due to broken valves/rods (454 = interference engine) and tore it down, there wasn't a drop of sludge ANYWHERE. All this engine has ever seen has been Quaker State 10W30 for about 295k miles.

Comment

Well I bought some of the Lucas oil stabilizer. However,I just found out from the previousowner that he religiously changed the oil every other month since he has owned it and I believe he is the original owner. Fromthe looks and performance of the car, he seems to have cared for it quite well. When I seafoamed the engine, I didnt get as much smoke as I expected to get. Do you guys still suggest adding the lucas?
                    Specs:
                    1998 Camaro
                    3.8L Series 2

Plans:
                    Pacesetter Headers
                    High flow Cat
                    So Far......

Comment

i would defintaly say yes every oil change i do which is tomorrow i run 4 qts or castrol and a quart of lucas. and i have never had a problem since ive been driving i know i cant compare my 3-4 years with 20-30 years but i havent had problems nor has my dad or grandfather and our many friends i would defintaly say its worth the few bucks
                      94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                      GOT PSi?
                      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

I believe that the key is regular oil changes, keeping in mind that most types of everyday driving would fall under what the manufacturer would call 'severe service'- lots of short trips, stop-and-go, cold-starts- I change my oil, using conventional oil, every 3000 miles- if I do long highway trips, that is just a bonus, I don't use the easier miles to extend my oil-change interval. I also have started, over the last couple years, to make my own synthetic blend- I put in one quart of Mobil1 into every oil change to get some of the benefits of the synthetic-

My last 4 vehicles went over 200,000 miles before northeast rust did the job on them, not engine failures- and I don't exactly baby them- I have been through my share of gear boxes, clutches, and transmissions- today's engines are very durable if you change the oil and don't overheat them.
                        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Well I chaned the oil the other day after 100 miles with seafoam and guess what? I forgot to add the one quart of the lucas additive. Dang! Oh well. I still have it in the garage and I am going back to Iraq tomorrow so I dont really have time to drain a quart and add it. I suppose I will just get it when I change the oil when I return from the sand box. According to the previous owner, he said that he changed the oil every other month. I believe him by the shape that the car is in. It has its few minor issues but runs really well for the amount of miles that are on it. Anyway, thank you for the feed back.Really appreciate it.
                          Specs:
                          1998 Camaro
                          3.8L Series 2

Plans:
                          Pacesetter Headers
                          High flow Cat
                          So Far......

Comment

Working...
                          X