Swapping a 3.8L for a 5.7L What is involved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping a 3.8L for a 5.7L What is involved

What is involved in swapping a 3.8L for 5.7L? Is it really complicated? Is their alot of cutting and modding involved or can you basically drop it in in place of the 3.8? Obviously you would have to get a different wiring harness and Fuel injection I would imagine. Just exploring the possibilty down the road. Thanks in advance.
    Specs:
    1998 Camaro
    3.8L Series 2
    5 Speed Borg Warner T5 Transmission
    American Racing Rims (Going to be replaced in the near future)
    Flowmaster Exhaust (Going to be replaced in the near future)

Plans:
    Pacesetter Headers
    Flowmaster Dual Exhast w/Cut Out
    Whisper Airlid with K&N Filter or K&N Cold Air Intake(Havnt decided yet)
    High flow Cat
    So Far......

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6484
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Alright. I appreciate the reply Jeff. Looks like its not really worth it to do it.
      Specs:
      1998 Camaro
      3.8L Series 2

Plans:
      Pacesetter Headers
      High flow Cat
      So Far......

Comment

I did it. Honestly I didn't think it was all that bad. Took me about two weeks working mostly on weekends and a few evenings.

Just get a complete take out from ebay or something. Full take out meaning wiring, PCM, trans, ect. If you know what you're doing it's actually kind of fun.

www.v6conversion.com

Comment

We have v8 Fbodys all over on car lots. People are dumping faster than you can say "sarah palin for VP"
          2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Originally posted by Jannici
            I did it. Honestly I didn't think it was all that bad. Took me about two weeks working mostly on weekends and a few evenings.

Just get a complete take out from ebay or something. Full take out meaning wiring, PCM, trans, ect. If you know what you're doing it's actually kind of fun.

www.v6conversion.com
            Awsome Ride. Doesnt seem that hard either. I will definately be keeping that in mind. Thank you for the link. Really sweet car.
            Specs:
            1998 Camaro
            3.8L Series 2

Plans:
            Pacesetter Headers
            High flow Cat
            So Far......

Comment

Originally posted by msfyter
              We have v8 Fbodys all over on car lots. People are dumping faster than you can say "sarah palin for VP"
              Well me and the wife were just talking. Im going to go ahead with the V-6 mod for now. We agreed that in a year or two I can get a new V8 F-Body and she can have the V-6. Of course by then there will have been some mods done to it so it wont be stock and hopefully be ripping up some pavement. Thank you for the advice guys. Very helpful.

If anyone has any info on some things I can do to the V6 it would be greatly appreciated. I really just want to see what I can do with it. I have a few buddies that are really up for helping out with the car. Pretty knowlegable guys too. I figure that a few Aircraft mechanics ( Electrician, 2 Avionic Techs(me being one of them), powertrain and Airframe guys to be exact) should be able to figure this stuff out and make the car a sweet ride. Plus we all have a pretty good knowlege base of cars as well. Any way, Im rambling now. Thank you in advance for the advice.
              Specs:
              1998 Camaro
              3.8L Series 2

Plans:
              Pacesetter Headers
              High flow Cat
              So Far......

Comment

i just completed a swap about 6 months ago. mine was in a 94 so it was a 3.4 A4 for a LT1 M6 my biggest suggestion is find a donor car and swap the entire front end itll be 10 times easier
                94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                GOT PSi?
                Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Working...
                X