Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can be done to the 3.8L SeriesII Performance wise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done to the 3.8L SeriesII Performance wise?

What are some performance mods that I can do this engine and what is the potential of this engine? Any info to help would be greatly appreciated. I plan to start doing some things to the car slowly after I get back from Iraq. Thank you in advance.
    Specs:
    1998 Camaro
    3.8L Series 2
    5 Speed Borg Warner T5 Transmission
    American Racing Rims (Going to be replaced in the near future)
    Flowmaster Exhaust (Going to be replaced in the near future)

Plans:
    Pacesetter Headers
    Flowmaster Dual Exhast w/Cut Out
    Whisper Airlid with K&N Filter or K&N Cold Air Intake(Havnt decided yet)
    High flow Cat
    So Far......

I think I might get some support for this idea...SO

with the plans listed in your sig, i would just buy a V8 F-body. It would be the better long term situation. The market is very good for them. Many guys at LS1tech.com selling theirs dirt cheap.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I plan to do that in the future. But for right now, It is kind of a little project of mine. I really want to see what I can do with that V-6. When my wife first bought me the car, I was a little upset about it being a V-6. However, since I have driven it, I am quite impressed with the power that it has. Just kid of something I would like to do. Thank you for the advice though. Much obliged.
      Specs:
      1998 Camaro
      3.8L Series 2

Plans:
      Pacesetter Headers
      High flow Cat
      So Far......

Comment

Get 'er breathin better first! (Intke and exhst)
        Then improve the suspension and handling.
        Then you may think about a head and cam combo...if you don't mind getting money out of the bank and into your car, ya know.
        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

So i have been back and forth about a whisper airlid with a K&N Filter or a Full blown cold air intake. What is your take on that? I have also been looking around at cams. I havnt looked at heads yet. I definately want the pacesetter headers and the flowmaster with cutouts. Is there any other exhaust sytems that are a bit beefier sounding though? Magnaflow or Borla possibly?
          Specs:
          1998 Camaro
          3.8L Series 2

Plans:
          Pacesetter Headers
          High flow Cat
          So Far......

Comment

www.camarov6.com <---- a load of tech info, vids, sound clips and pics.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Ill definately check this site out.Thanks
              Specs:
              1998 Camaro
              3.8L Series 2

Plans:
              Pacesetter Headers
              High flow Cat
              So Far......

Comment

Free-breathing on both ends seems to improve things. I currently have a intake that is much smoother flowing (more volume) than stock. It helps a bit. I'd like to see what a new, higher volume exhaust would do.

And of course it helps to have good plugs, wires, coils and fuel filter.
                1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Best bang for your buck will be a Turbo kit. Look up Intense Racing and a guy named Tim King. He has a turbo'd 3800 F-body that is running....low 9's or 8's, I believe.

Short of a turbo, you can do basically all your normal options, but first and foremost do intake/exhaust work. Throw in a cam (some people do roller rockers, then wish they did a cam). You can also get a custom tune done that will really wake the thing up. Then there's the typical head/valve work.

Don't worry about the motor. Tim King's turbo F-body? It runs on the STOCK bottom end.

Comment

I have been debating getting a turbo or supercharger. Dont know yet. Just cleaned the throttle body, seafoamed the Gas, oil and the engine via the brake booster vacuum line and already the car is running a whole lot better. Doing the oil tooday or tomorrow and the fuel filter. I plan on doing the exhaust and intake when I get back from Iraq. I just havnt decided on the whisper airlid or the cold air intake yet.
                    Thank you for all the replies. You guys are most definately very helpful.
                    Specs:
                    1998 Camaro
                    3.8L Series 2

Plans:
                    Pacesetter Headers
                    High flow Cat
                    So Far......

Comment

nice in-expensive route for exhuast is a take off from a V8 car, its better and wont give u a drone as bad as a flowmaster would
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Here I go, the voice of dissention...........

I'll bet my next week's paycheck that a well done turbo 3.8 will roast all but the most expensive and exotic machinery. I have a girdled 3.8 block motor with all forged internals, rated for 700 lbs of torque. My plan is to put that in the 94 Camaro with an automatic and 3.23 gears. No doubt the differential will need to be swapped, but 700 lbs of torque should be one heck of a big stick.

So my opinion is that if you have a 3800 to start with, you can build one hell of a performer with the right parts and tuning. No matter which direction you go, expect to drop a boatload of cash. These cars are great in stock form when driven moderately. Upgrade the power and start pushing it, other things will likely need attention. That T-5 won't last long as it's internals are meant to cope with a stockish V6. The rear will handle a bit more, but it gets dicey at modified LT1 and LS1 power levels. You better plan on changing lots of stuff if you ramp up the power.

Make sure you have a rock solid bottom end, I prefer ARP studs. Headgaskets are a weakness of the 3800. I would do headwork, upgraded headgaskets and fasteners. Cam or rockers depends on how much power you ultimately want and how that power works with forced induction.

Another thought is to pick up a supercharged version out of the GTP or the like, ditch the supercharger for a turbo and it's associated plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320

I'll bet my next week's paycheck that a well done turbo 3.8 will roast all but the most expensive and exotic machinery. I have a girdled 3.8 block motor with all forged internals, rated for 700 lbs of torque. My plan is to put that in the 94 Camaro with an automatic and 3.23 gears. No doubt the differential will need to be swapped, but 700 lbs of torque should be one heck of a big stick.

So my opinion is that if you have a 3800 to start with, you can build one hell of a performer with the right parts and tuning. No matter which direction you go, expect to drop a boatload of cash. These cars are great in stock form when driven moderately. Upgrade the power and start pushing it, other things will likely need attention. That T-5 won't last long as it's internals are meant to cope with a stockish V6. The rear will handle a bit more, but it gets dicey at modified LT1 and LS1 power levels. You better plan on changing lots of stuff if you ramp up the power.

Make sure you have a rock solid bottom end, I prefer ARP studs. Headgaskets are a weakness of the 3800. I would do headwork, upgraded headgaskets and fasteners. Cam or rockers depends on how much power you ultimately want and how that power works with forced induction.

Another thought is to pick up a supercharged version out of the GTP or the like, ditch the supercharger for a turbo and it's associated plumbing.
                          Awsome! Well that definately gets me going. I have been doing alot of research and everything you just told me was what I was beginning to figure out. It will take some time but I expect it to be fun and challenging. I am leaving to go back to Iraq tomorrow for the last 40 days or so of my tour. I will be starting with some simple mods when I come back along with working out small issues with the car. (You know, little rust underneath, small leaks (nothing major that is leaving puddles on the ground), odds and ends throughout the car) From there I will just continue to progress and learn. Little bit here and there, save some money here and there. I will be hitting you guys up alot more once I get started. Thank you so far for all the tips and advice. It will help me alot.
                          Specs:
                          1998 Camaro
                          3.8L Series 2

Plans:
                          Pacesetter Headers
                          High flow Cat
                          So Far......

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320

Actually, alot of guys are finding the L36/L26 bottom end is better - Higher compression. Otherwise the blocks are identical. They're also putting 600+ ftlbs of torque and approximately the same HP to stock bottom ends (again, look up Intense and ZZ Performance to see what they're doing with FWD grand prixs). You're still going to have some work to do if you try to use the s/c LIM, as the thermostat would move to the back of the motor . If you're going to go s/c'd, I'd try to get my hands on a Holden setup - Yes, they've got L67's that go in RWD vehicles with a roots-style blower. God I wish I lived Down Under...

Comment

Working...
                            X