automatic to manual conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automatic to manual conversion

I've posted other threads in this forum asking for advise on a route to go for a new transmission, but I was thinking about this long and hard for awhile and I decided that I really want to put a T-56 in my car. My car started out as a 3.4L V6 and I swapped it out for an LT1 just for a learning experience. Well now it's time for another learning experience. I used the search button on this site and others to get all the info I need for this. I found a post referring to DJ Taso's conversion, but all the links for the conversion kits are long dead.

At this point I know what is needed, I just need to find the best place to get it all. I actually already have a center counsel that I bought awhile ago when I first thought of doing this. It's been sitting in my basement ever since. I still will need everything else though including the trans.

At this point it's not money that is the problem. It's finding a trusted vendor and worthwhile parts. Anyone know where I could just simply get a conversion kit with everything I will need? Even if it doesn't come with the actual trans i'll be ok. I've found several places with good deals on T-56 trannys. They just don't have conversion kits for me

Actually on a side note, since my car does make a lot of power, a viper spec t-56 might not be a bad idea. Anyone know where I can pick one of those up? I've on;y heard good things about those. Thanks in advance for any advise anyone can give me.

I can't find the place I used when I converted mine. It has changed names so many times I couldn't keep up. Anyway Call this place http://www.contemporarycorvette.com/ . I have used them and they are really good.

Here is a write up on the A4 to T56 conversion.
    http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm

There isn’t anything called a “Viper spec trans”. There are some upgrade you can do to it like a steel 3-4 shift fork.
    http://www.ddperformance.com/

Here is some info on the T56 for your reading pleasure.
    http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks a lot Jeff!!! That is way more than I could have possibly hoped for!

Comment

I haven't had a chance to call over to contemporary corvette yet, i'm hoping to do that tomorrow before work. From their site, they look like look a worthwhile salvage company. When I call them should I basically just ask for an automatic to manual conversion kit? Or should I get a list of every part I will need and go through it with the guy on the phone?

I'm also going to buy a trans from that 3rd link you sent me. Its about $1000 more than the place I was looking at, but its that Viper model that can take a lot more power. I think it's worth it, so thanks again for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jannici
          I haven't had a chance to call over to contemporary corvette yet, i'm hoping to do that tomorrow before work. From their site, they look like look a worthwhile salvage company. When I call them should I basically just ask for an automatic to manual conversion kit? Or should I get a list of every part I will need and go through it with the guy on the phone?

I'm also going to buy a trans from that 3rd link you sent me. Its about $1000 more than the place I was looking at, but its that Viper model that can take a lot more power. I think it's worth it, so thanks again for that.
          Just tell them what you are doing and ask them to work you up a price for all of it. They will probably give you a quantity discount.

It looks like the input shaft and mounting cinfiguration for the viper version is the same as the stock LT1 but the output shaft is not. The viper model has a 30 tooth shaft that is larger than the stock 27 tooth output shaft. You will have to change the yoke on the front of the driveshaft. Make sure you get a yoke that fits when you get a transmission. It looks like it might be model D17? Not a clue which U joint you would have to use.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

thanks for this info Jeff. I will be good with this. I'm going to call that D&D place in a few minutes from work and ask them what i'll need. I should hope they would know which Yoke and U-joints to use.

I'm going to call that salvage place to in a few minutes. I'm going to take your advise and just tell them what i'm doing. Hopefully they should know what i'm talking about and what I need. If not I printed up the info from the other two links you listed, so I will be fine either way.

Thanks again for your help Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X