throttle body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle body

would it hurt anything to upgraded to the 58mm t/b. Have a 52 now was thinking of moving up. I know I will have to port the intake. Just always heard the 58 was for very modified motors, but I can't see what it would hurt. any info would be helpful

You can acutually lose power with too big of throttle body. Its been said here many times before. What mods do you have? If not many then your 52 TB should be more than adecquate. Heck Fred even said a supercharged motor pumping out about 500 HP is or for the stock 48 TB. But I think that was for computer calibration purposes. Others here should know more.
    '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

There is no HP to be gained with a 58mm TB. As noted above, although I have a 58mm TB, dyno tuning has shown that running my 500HP stroker at 7,000rpm, the engine gets all the air is can use at only 77% throttle opening. The engine could run njust as well with a 52mm. I have seen at least one dyno test where the 58mm lost 10HP on a relatively stock application.

The 58mm can also pose a problem if you have an automatic tranny. It upsets the calibration of throttle position and line pressure and can cause shifting problem, as I understand it.

A 52mm is available, as is a 54mm (AS&M) and if you have your heart set on a larger TB, those would probably be better choices.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

They are right as always i am livin proof. My 58 holley didnt do anything, it did kinda weird things out on my car. It wasnt intill i did some engine work and some other mods that i kinda saw any gains, But i do see a gain in cold weather. I have a A4 i would just stick with the 52mm save 300 bucks and buy something better.

Comment

If you have some money laying around, get a cat-back exhaust. Or some 3.73's

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

thanks for the info, guess Ill still with what I have already.car has 4.10 gears
            under drive pulleys
            CAI
            HppIII
            LT4 knock mod.
            flowmaster cat-back
            SLP IAT sensor
            hurst shifter
            msd
            ported maf
            thorttle bypass
            lca tube
            panhard tube