Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help replacing the top dash pad in my 97 Firebird Formula.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help replacing the top dash pad in my 97 Firebird Formula.

Hi Guys!

I have a 1997 Firebird Formula 5.7 engine with 28kmiles on the clock.

My dash pad near where the heater vents blow on the windshield has cracked. Have any of you ever replaced this dash panel. If so, can you provide me with information on how to replace it in my car?

I went to my dealer and paid $183.00 and order one this evening.

The dealer says that you have to take the complete whole dash out of the car and it would take 4.6 hours to do costing me $348.00 for them to do it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I hate so bad to have to take the whole dash out because I know it can never be put back right again without rattling.

Thanks Lee!
    Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Are you talking about the front pad? I thought that you could just pop those up as they were just fastened down with velcro or fasteners. I think you have to remove the pillars first. I've never done it, but I recall reading once that's how it was done.

You might want to search it up.
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Are you talking about the front pad? I thought that you could just pop those up as they were just fastened down with velcro or fasteners. I think you have to remove the pillars first. I've never done it, but I recall reading once that's how it was done.

It is the one that is next to windshield and has the vents that blow on your windshield. The whole top part of the dash.

Thanks Lee!

Comment

Gary is right on remove the pillers an out it comes. About 15 to 20 min,s job. But do a search for better info. Good Luck
        Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
          Gary is right on remove the pillers an out it comes. About 15 to 20 min,s job. But do a search for better info. Good Luck
          Blazer
          I don't know how much different a Firebird is from a Camaro (probably not much) but I did exactly as Blazer and Gary note when I did mine. Remove the plastic moldings on the front pillars, the panel is held down with velcro like fasteners. It's ultra easy.

4.6 hours and $348 is complete BS. They don't call them stealerships for nothing....
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel

4.6 hours and $348 is complete BS. They don't call them stealerships for nothing....
            I was going to say more like blatent rape. 4.6 hours my arse.

If I remember, I paid about $180 shipped to my door, only one side of the a-pillar trim needs to be removed and I think the whole install was a half hour?

Tell the dealership to kiss your hind end on the 4.6 hours labor fee.

Comment

The top dash pad velcros down. 4.6 hours? That's about 4 hours of smoke breaks.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

well you all know how them unions work. they work for 10 minutes and take an hour break. so 4.6 hours seems pretty close. i would just go for it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PAS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                GOT PSi?
                Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I had a feeling that they were full of it!

Those pillars should I start at the dash pulling them? or Should I start back at the rear of the headliner pulling them?

Are the clips really hard to get out? Should I order extra clips for the pillars? Or Do they use clips.

When I say Pillars, I mean the trim that covers them all the way up to the dash!
                  Thanks So much Lee!

Comment

Start at the back by where the seatbelt mounts on the roof. That long piece has 3 clips if I remember correctly. They are metal S type clips where one part holds a plastic tab on the underside of the trim and the other holds onto the edge of the roof panel. They come off fairly easily, just take your time and don't force them. You risk breaking the plastic tab on the trim if you do. Once those are loose you should be able to slide the pillar cover up enough to get the old panel out and the new one in. If you look on the edges of the panel you will see a ridge that the pillar cover fits down into. Again, take your time and don't force anything.

As long as you take less than 4.6 hours you win.
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Guys I hate to be such a moron but those Sclips that hold the trim on the pilliars is there a special tool to use to make those turn loose of the trim or what?

Do you pull towards the outside of the car to get the trim to turn loose or out and up?

Thanks For all you help!

Comment

UPDATE!

I have installed the dash pad. It took about 30 minutes. I won because it didn't cost $348.00 or 4.6 hours.

I sure do appreciate your guys helping me do this and giving me encouragement to do it.

Thanks Lee!

Comment

YAHHH! +1 for F-Body.com still 0 for Dealerships
                          94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                          1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                          GOT PSi?
                          Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LeeS97Z28
                            UPDATE!

I have installed the dash pad. It took about 30 minutes. I won because it didn't cost $348.00 or 4.6 hours.

I sure do appreciate your guys helping me do this and giving me encouragement to do it.

Thanks Lee!

Feels good not to let the stealership stick it to ya, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                            X