Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got money now...time for some mods :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got money now...time for some mods :)

Ok, now that I've got a lil bit of dough, time to show these lil ricers and mudstain brats what true power is. Just curious about 2 things: exhaust and rear-end. I'm thinking about the Loudmouth, but I worry that it might be too loud for DMV (California DMV no less). Anybody try this in CA or have sound clips of a Loudmouth on an LT1? Also, I wanted to beef-up the rear with a support cover. I'm not gonna be running enough power to snap it, but I prefer to be safe vs. sorry. I don't want to pull the whole rear-end apart, so that rules out the SLP cover. Anyone know of a good bolt-on support cover that would work? Thanks a lot guys.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Here is your sound clip http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/sou...th_gm3501.html
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the post Jeff. Think I can sneak it by? Also, anyone have any ideas for the cover? Would the Summit support cover be a good choice?
      Steve

Comment

Don't waste you time or money with the Rear cover. It won't help, and is unnecessary with what little mods you have.

Is your Z an auto or 6spd?
        99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
        93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Its a 6spd. So, its really not worth the money for it? Any reasons? Just curious. Thanks guys.
          Steve

Comment

You know what I would recommend, a set of sub frame connectors.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

The way it was explained to me, and I have seen evidence of this:

The cover serves to strengthen the center section, and the mounts for the ring and pinion. This is a good thing, but the problem is those aren't the week points in our rear ends. The axles themselves will break before the center will crack or the gears would jump out (like in a Ford 9").
              So it is just a waste of money, unless you are putting out some serious power - in which case you would want a 12 bolt or a 9" anyway!!

If you wat to pick up some speed, focus on the intake (cold air kit), the exhaust (cat-back, hi flow cat, y-pipe), or gears (4.10's are excellent in the 6 speeds).

FYI- I have a Borla y-pipe in the 4 sale section. It came off of my 93 Formula.
              99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

Comment

I'm already gonna do the typical bolt-ons, but was just wondering if the cover would be a good idea or not. But, when you put it like that, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the suggestion Jeff...SFC's are already in the plans Would the Loudmouth be a good idea and still pass noise requirements or would another be better? Thanks guys.
                Steve

Comment

I don't know what the noise requirements are in Ca. but seeing how" progressive", LOL, they are, I would bet it is fairly low. Out of all of the exhaust cat back systems I have seen, the loudmouth is about the loudest. It's not called loudmouth for nothing. It is way too loud for me. There have been lots of threads on here about exhausts. If you do a search on exhaust, you can look back over them.

Comment

I love the LM on my 99 TA, but it is LOUD! And I have heard it is even louder on an LT1 car.

There is always Borla, it is more $$, but you can customize the sound. I have it on my 93 Formula and I love the sound. Especially now that it is behind a 383 w/headers. Now that is loud!!

Comment

Oh I know its loud and I love loud. Its just these stupids politicians that can't take it...wimps lol My buddy Craig94TAGT got Borla and its sweet. But, I don't want to have to be adjusting it every two years for these lil ******s. I'll do a search and see what comes up. Thanks guys.
                      Steve

Comment

Just do what I did on the Borla. Put an electric Borla cutout on it. Now I can open or close the Borla with the touch of a button.

I love gadgets!! Especially when they have buttons and lights!!

Randy

Comment

lol I've heard about that. How much is the kit?
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            lol I've heard about that. How much is the kit?
                            I think it's around $120. I thought I was pretty much done with mods, but I like the idea. Especially when it takes 10 Minutes for me to change out restrictor plates!

Closed is great for highway trips! Almost as quiet as stock. Open just sounds Oh yeah!

Loudmouth is just what it says it is...LOUD! Especially on LT1's... I love the adjustability I have, but you could probably get that on almost any system....I'm sure there are electric cutouts you can use on others....this one happens to be made for the Borla and it's "built-in" cutout.
                            Joe K.
                            '11 BMW 328i
                            '10 Matrix S AWD
                            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

flowmaster

personally i use the slp loudmouth and i love it, but in your case you might want to think about the flowmaster exhaust. One of my friends has a 94 z and that is what he uses. he ordered it from summit.

just an idea, here is the link

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=FLO%2D17274

99 T/A WS-6
                              SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
                              2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
                              88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

Working...
                              X