Max Tire width on SS wheel? Fred?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Tire width on SS wheel? Fred?

I have a Set of Stock 17's SS/ZR1 wheels from a local guy. Im not sure if they are 8.5" or 9.5" Wide. My guess is they are 9.5". Can I run a 285/40ZR17 on these wheels with no issues or should I leave them on 275's.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

I believe the SS wheel is 17" X 9" while the ZR1 is 17" X 9.5".
    For the SS wheel no and for the ZR1 wheel yes.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yes, many have run the 285 on a stock 17x9 SS wheel with zero problems. Ken used to run 285s on the back of his comp TA and there were no issues either. In fact, that was my choice too. It also fits well on up to a 11" wide wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
        I believe the SS wheel is 17" X 9" while the ZR1 is 17" X 9.5".
        For the SS wheel no and for the ZR1 wheel yes.
        Well they are ZR1 style rims. The guy I bought them from Said they came on his Camaro SS. They are the 5-spoke ones so you think they are 9.5"
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Sounds like either way will be OK.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Well they are ZR1 style rims. The guy I bought them from Said they came on his Camaro SS. They are the 5-spoke ones so you think they are 9.5"
            No.

SS Camaro wheels look just like ZR-1 wheels but in fact, are not. a 17x9 inch wheel will measure 9.5 inches wide as each lip adds a 1/4" to the total measurement. So..... a 9" wide wheel will measure 9.5", and a 9.5" wheel will measure 10". SS Camaro wheels are 17x9 on all four corners, Corvette wheels came in 17x9.5 on the front, 17x11 on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              No.

SS Camaro wheels look just like ZR-1 wheels but in fact, are not. a 17x9 inch wheel will measure 9.5 inches wide as each lip adds a 1/4" to the total measurement. So..... a 9" wide wheel will measure 9.5", and a 9.5" wheel will measure 10". SS Camaro wheels are 17x9 on all four corners, Corvette wheels came in 17x9.5 on the front, 17x11 on the rear.
              Perfect, Thanks a lot Joe. Im going 285's I guess. But at the same time I want 275s to match the other two so I Can rotate the tires. Interesting.

Thanks guys
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Choose your tires carefully. A 285 is only 4/10th's of an inch wider than the 275 at the widest point on the sidewall. The diameter is less 1/3" larger. Its not going to look much different or perform much different. What diameter is your speedometer calibrated for?

If you look at the specifications for a variety of tires, you will find that there are 275's that have a wider tread and more aggressive look than some other 285's. Tread width does not correlate to traction or performance - some of the highest rated tires for wet and dry traction have narrower tread than the lower rated ones. I'd focus more on the tire characteristics that you feel are important -dry traction, wet traction, cornering, tread wear, noise, harshness, etc. If its all about appearance, its something else.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I want some good Dry tires. It never really rains around here so thats not to important. I want these to be able to Carve canyons. Something with a good Traction rating.

Im leaning to the Kumhos. Im going to go with 275's.

My car is calabrated for stock 16's. Im guessing 245-45-R16. Will that make my speedo be off by a lot?
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I would run Nittos if you want sticky without crazy prices.

I ran 555s for many years, but if you want sticky, I would go 555RIIs.

Here are some specs...I too upgraded from 16's to 17's (Nittos)

Size----Dia------Width---Approved Rim Sizes--Revs/Mile
                    245---25.59"----9.61"----7.0-[7.5]-8.0----------811 <---450s (275 not avali)
                    275---25.59"---11.02"----9.0-[9.5]-10-----------813 <---555s
                    285---25.62"---11.38"----9.0-[10]-11-----------800 <---555s

As you can see, the dia are so close there shouldn't be any adverse effects that you'd have to tune. Just swap and enjoy.

Again, check out Nittos. 555s, NT03 or the NT05 <---sick tire

www.nittotire.com

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                      I would run Nittos if you want sticky without crazy prices.

I ran 555s for many years, but if you want sticky, I would go 555RIIs.

Here are some specs...I too upgraded from 16's to 17's (Nittos)

As you can see, the dia are so close there shouldn't be any adverse effects that you'd have to tune. Just swap and enjoy.
                      How do you like the 555's? They are a good price. Do they last a while? or r they like they're DR's and wear out quick. Keep in mind this is my DD which will see Canyon driving a lot.
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I wouldn't buy the kumhos if I had to do it again...The sidewalls started weather cracking after about 10k miles and the tread didn't last long. At first the wet traction was good(compared to the old worn out bfgs) but after a little wear, the tended to spin in the wet more often. .02
                        Greg W. in West Michigan
                        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                        <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
                          I wouldn't buy the kumhos if I had to do it again...The sidewalls started weather cracking after about 10k miles and the tread didn't last long. At first the wet traction was good(compared to the old worn out bfgs) but after a little wear, the tended to spin in the wet more often. .02
                          Thanks for the input. Although We rarely experience rain, Thats something to keep in mind. We wont get rain for another 2 or 3 months. And even then it rains maybe 2-3 weeks total a year! Got to Love LA (Just not the cost of living)!

Im going to start calling around here in my area for the Nitto 555's. They are about $160 a piece from Summit so If I can get them around my area for less than $180 installed a piece it looks like im getting new tires tomorrow.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

555's were awesome tires! I have Falken 452's right now and they are okay in comparison.

The 555's lasted 48K miles...Discount Tire rotated and balanced them every 6K. Even at 48K, it was only at the wear indicators and I could have kept going.

Strong grip and handling...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yeah I have those badboys installed. Got only 2 tires since two were pretty much new. I must say, even though they are not broken in yet, they are much better than the hunks of junk I had before.

I paid $330 for two Nitto 555's, installed, all 4 wheels balanced, and new lug nuts.
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X