02 sensor codes and ses lite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 sensor codes and ses lite

my 2002 35th ss keeps getting 02 sensor codes 1133/1153.all 4 sensors replaced with new bosch sensors and new harness on lh side.car has slp headers.all voltage cks norm.this usually happens after a second cold start.sometimes after putting on about 500 miles.this present code says in the gm book it could be bad fuel.this problem has been going on since i put the headers on several years ago chevy had replaced 2 sensors and i had sims on the back.failed emmissions.put 4 new sensors this sept and harness on lh side due to heat damage.got lite on mon after cold start after driving about 5 miles.this is a problem that has driven me crazy.i'm betting the computer is having a problem reading the switching,although when you scan it everything is working correctly.i was told the headers caused this problem because the sensors are farther back then stock.can the computer be adjusted to correct this or are there any other ideas out there.thanks last ss

We're the Bosch O2's universals or direct fits? Are you running Cats? Which initally failed Upstreams or Downstreams?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

my story is almost like yours, 3 weeks ago installed kooks lt's with high flow cats,slp catback' aft a few days ses light came on. went to dealer they say my fuel filter was clogged and right side cat was bad. i changed fuel filter and light still on. so i removed the 02 sensor from they cat they said was ruined, and cleaned off much anti-seize and the light is now off and car is idling properly and not dumping fuel as it was when light was on. i havnt driven it enough to say problem is corrected
      2002 Firehawk, LS 7 Flyw/clutch,
      Kooks Hdrs/Y high flow cats, SLP Ldmth 1 catback,
      Spohn solid motor mounts/lowr panhard/tunnel brace
      BMR Billet control arms/upper panhard/tourque arm/trans crossmember
      Eibach springs/sway bars

Comment

all 4 are borsch sensors,direct replacement.the cats are new along with the headers,i say new,but the car only has 8900 miles on it and the headers/cats are on since around 2000 miles.the car passed emmissions,so i know the cats are good,and the scan is good.sometimes it takes 500/600 miles for the lite to come on,sometimes just after a few miles.this is very disturbing since no one knows what to do.chevy has no answers.they replaced 2 02 sesors and it did the same thing,so they blamed the headers and washed their hands.on ls1.com,one guy said he eliminated the switching codes from the computer,so i'm for his reply.thanks,last ss

Comment

I don't know about the LS1's but a lot of people have had problems with the Bosch sensors on the LT1's. General recommendation is to use only the OEM AC/Delco (Delphi) O2 sensors. The Delphis come with conductive anti-sieze already on them. Its not a good idea to slather a lot of anti-seize on them when you install them.... too easy to contaminate them.

There also seems to be an issue with installing cera-metallic (e.g. - Jet-Hot) coated headers. O2 sensor failure due to slow switching is often seen within the first two weeks of operation, possibly due to some contaminent that burns off during the intitial heat cycling of the headers. Always a good idea to run a set of old O2 sensors for the first couple weeks, then replace them.

If you have an ongoing problem with slow switching, and a stock exhaust, consider the possibility of coolant leaking into the cylinders via a faulty head gasket. Usually only a problem with the older "green" coolant. Obviously you don't want to spike your fuel with leaded fuel at the track.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

This will thread answer your problem.
            http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21133
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've seen this symptom before when the sensors get relocated to a point much further away from the exhaust port than stock. If you are certain that there is no silicone contamination, you'll likely need the program tweaked.

Comment

i work for 7 days then off 7 days, when i work i dont drive my car, [23,500. on odm]so my ses light came on when i got back to it, went to auto zone they plugged in the csanner and it said my o2 sensor #1 right side was bad, which happens to be new, so i went back to where i got it from and they gave me a different one.. instead of having the slits cut into it , it has holes in the head of the sensor, it is an ac delco sensor, the light did go out soon as i started and it idles fine, havnt driven it much since, i do not wish to get this solved by deleting any computer requirements, i do have jet hot coating on my exhaust, the only other solution which i have read fronm this thread might to be installing the rear sensor in the forward position., oh yeah, cant wait to install upper panhard rod, bmr tourque arm, trans cross member, bmr control arms,
                2002 Firehawk, LS 7 Flyw/clutch,
                Kooks Hdrs/Y high flow cats, SLP Ldmth 1 catback,
                Spohn solid motor mounts/lowr panhard/tunnel brace
                BMR Billet control arms/upper panhard/tourque arm/trans crossmember
                Eibach springs/sway bars

Comment

Working...
                X