Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing car for the winter?

Hey guys,

I'm going back to college later today and I am putting my car away for the winter it looks like. Unfortunatly it has to stay outside, but im putting my car cover on and then a few tarps to keep the ice and snow out. Anyways, do I have to do anything so the gas doesn't "go bad"?
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Contrary to what might seem logical, make sure you have a full tank of gas to combat condensation. Since you're only storing it for a few months, I don't think you have to worry too much about the fuel going bad...it should be fine. Make sure you change the oil and then run it a while to circulate. If at all possible, try to start it at least once per month and let it run for a good 20 minutes or so.

As for the battery, it's best to remove it, or at least hook up a trickle-charger. At the minimum, disconnect the positive cable to lessen the drain.

Make sure you have good air pressure in the tires. Since you will lose pressure with time and temperature drop, put 36 psi of air in each to lessen the chance of flat spotting.

Make sure you have winter mix windshield washer fluid. If it's the summer mix, it can cause your lines and tank to crack when it freezes.

If you're not going to be able to open the car up and run it, I would put a container of Damp-Rid (I think that's what it's called) in the car before you shut it up. It's sold at Home Depot/Lowes and is designed for musty basement. It'll keep the moisture under control.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

drier sheets too to keep the mice away. they work for some strange reason

just start it up every now and thing to make sure everything is ok and take it around the block if u can to prevent the tires from flat spotting and what not
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
      X