Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB: What would cause both banks to show running lean at once?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: What would cause both banks to show running lean at once?

My mom's 2000 Ford Ranger (4.0 V6) is showing codes for Bank 1 and 2 running lean. What is the most likely cause to have these two codes at once?
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Abnormally low fuel pressure, faulty throttle position sensor, faulty MAF, faulty coolant temperature sensor, severe vacuum leak or any combination of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Abnormally low fuel pressure, faulty throttle position sensor, faulty MAF, faulty coolant temperature sensor, severe vacuum leak or any combination of the above.
      I read this earlier and because I am really tired I didn't think of anything but Joe just jogged 1 brain cell loose. I have seen many fuel injected Ford to have fuel starvation problems from a clogged fuel filter. I know a guy who carries a spare filter with him.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The truck seems to running fine, except for bad gas mileage. I suspected fuel filter too. If it was the MAF or a vacuum leak I would think the truck would be running poorly.
        Dave M

Comment

I worked on a 4Runner with a lean code in both banks...

Obviously, I started out filter...didn't work. Did a nitrogen smoke test, found a small vacuum leak at the TB...didn't work. Finally decided on a MAF...fix it. I tried cleaning the MAF first but didn't work either. Other than the SES, the 4Runner ran like champ...so eh.

I would definately start out with the cheap fixes first...

How many miles do you have on the Ranger?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I;m guessing both indicated lean at the same time?

Its probably one of what Joe said, someting to do with fuel delivery.
            -Alex
            1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
            ZO6 wheels (clones)
            LED exterior and interior lighting
            With questionable guts:
            Forged bottom end
            free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
            pacesetter longtubes
            T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
            Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
            K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
            96? ws6 hood
            96? ws6 spoiler
            full emissions delete
            polished heads with oversize valve job
            Edelbrock IAS shocks
            Full tubular Chassis minus k member
            Daily Driver and love it that way
            Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

There are about 123,000 miles on it. I don't know off-hand its maintance record. I might have the records somewhere.
              Dave M

Comment

Maybe the O2's are contaminated. use any rtv sealant on anything recently?
                anything else that could damage the o2's at the same time?
                Check those sensors I say, but just go with fuel pressure/volume for now. It still could be something else though.
                -Alex
                1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                ZO6 wheels (clones)
                LED exterior and interior lighting
                With questionable guts:
                Forged bottom end
                free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                pacesetter longtubes
                T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                96? ws6 hood
                96? ws6 spoiler
                full emissions delete
                polished heads with oversize valve job
                Edelbrock IAS shocks
                Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                Daily Driver and love it that way
                Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

My first guess would be fuel delivery, clogged filter, or, at that mileage, clogged injectors-

Next would be an air leak- you're correct in that a vacuum leak would probably make it idle poorly, what about an air leak in the exhaust? That would make the O2 sensor see excess oxygen, thinking that there was a lean fuel condition-

How does it idle? Steady, at low RPM's, or does it surge and hunt?
                  2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                  "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Now that I have had some sleep the brain is going a little better.

Another problem Fords and that engine specifically have is the idle air bypass valve gets carbon in them and get stuck. Usually they stick closed and cause a rough rich idle but I don’t see why they couldn’t stick open and make it run lean off idle and still idle ok. I guarantee if you took it off and cleaned it that a ton of carbon crap would come out.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Dave - its the MAF sensor, for whatever reason they get dirty, happed on my dads 96 3.8L Thunderbird and now has happened on my moms 02 Explorer Sport (4.0L) they make a MAF cleaner, and you will need tamper Torx in a 6point to get the sensor off. almost every ford i worked on that had this problem was the sensor

the one exception is when my dads headgaskets blew on the thunderbird
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It seems to idle and run fine, and I can't detect any exhaust leaks with my highly calibrated ears. I'm leaning towards fuel filter/injectors, or MAF. Nothing has been added that could have contaminated the O2 sensors. I'll definately try cleaning out the throttle body and IAC too, as that's the cheapest fix. My mom doesn't drive the truck much, especially in winter. So it'll probably be a spring project to track down the problem.
                        Dave M

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                          It seems to idle and run fine, and I can't detect any exhaust leaks with my highly calibrated ears. I'm leaning towards fuel filter/injectors, or MAF. Nothing has been added that could have contaminated the O2 sensors. I'll definately try cleaning out the throttle body and IAC too, as that's the cheapest fix. My mom doesn't drive the truck much, especially in winter. So it'll probably be a spring project to track down the problem.

go to napa, get MAF cleaner (CRC makes it) and clean the maf and crack open a beer and enjoy
                          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                          X