Still have a stupid oil leak...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still have a stupid oil leak...

I replaced the oil pan gasket and timing cover gasket, as well as the timing seals on the timing cover. Well, I got the car back together and ran it to make sure I had no leaks, but sure enough, I had an oil leak out of one of the seals on the timing cover. Since I couldn't tell if it was coming from the crankshaft damper or a seal higher up, I took everything off again to take a look. Low and behold it was the optispark driveshaft seal on the timing cover. So, I put in a new seal with the timing cover still on the car using a socket and a hammer. I tapped the seal in to where it was flush with the timing cover surface. Well, I put it back together and ran it for a couple days, and now I notice a small oil spot in my garage. I got under the car today, and sure enough it looks like that same seal is leaking again. I won't know for sure until I tear everything back off again, but I would almost bet it's the culprit.

I don't understand what the heck I am doing wrong!!! I am using a Fel-pro seal from the Fel-pro timing cover set. I put the seal into the timing cover using a socket and a hammer. I don't know if I'm not getting the seal in there cenetered exactly right or what is going on. I also put a little grease around the seal before I put the optispark driveshaft into the timing cover.

Also, the first time I put it all back together I had a new optispark and optispark driveshaft put on, which was the original reason I had the car apart. Then I saw the oil leaks around the timing cover and seals and oil pan, so I decided to change them. That's how I got into this.

PLEASE!!! Any insight on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

You have 4 places where oil could be leaking. One is the opti seal, one is the water pump seal and the other two are the timing cover and oil pan gaskets. If you haven't changed the water pump seal, that is my bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      You have 4 places where oil could be leaking. One is the opti seal, one is the water pump seal and the other two are the timing cover and oil pan gaskets. If you haven't changed the water pump seal, that is my bet.
      im with joe. that happend to me when we rebuilt my bottom end........

kerm

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Well, that's the thing. I replaced all the seals on the timing cover the first time. When I checked the seals the last time I pulled it apart the optispark driveshaft seal was the only one leaking. I have a new water pump seal and a new crankshaft damper seal put on the first time that I did the job, so the second time I didn't replace those seals, just the leaking distributor driveshaft seal.

Is there some other/better way to install that seal? Should I not be putting grease on it when I install it?

I'm pretty much lost at what I am doing wrong here.

Comment

Working...
        X