K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake for V-6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N FIPK Gen 2 Cold Air Intake for V-6

Im looking into buying a cold air intake for my 98 3.8L Camaro. Ive had real trouble finding one for this particular year. The closest Ive found is the K&N FIPK Gen II but it says it is only for the 99-02 models. I got on the camaro
    V-6 forum and they list it for the 95-98 and the 99-02. My question is will it work in the 98 or is it strictly for the 99-02? I looked at the install instructions on K&N and the pictures look exactly like what I have under the hood for intake.

Another question. Is the Cold Air Intake better to go with as opposed to the Ram air options or the whisper air lid or does it not make a difference? I would like to get the best bang for my buck. Alot of people I know like the K&N Cold Air Intake and say they have noticable results. Im just trying to get a variety of answers from a variety of people. You guys happen to be the subject matter experts as far as F-body cars go so your opinions really count for me. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Specs:
    1998 Camaro
    3.8L Series 2
    5 Speed Borg Warner T5 Transmission
    American Racing Rims (Going to be replaced in the near future)
    Flowmaster Exhaust (Going to be replaced in the near future)

Plans:
    Pacesetter Headers
    Flowmaster Dual Exhast w/Cut Out
    Whisper Airlid with K&N Filter or K&N Cold Air Intake(Havnt decided yet)
    High flow Cat
    So Far......

Taking the assumption that my ram air would be the same as yours, after modifiying my lid a little bit, I get colder air because I dont have a runner more than 3 inches long, its all MAF and some flex pipe.
    The K&N filter is the way to go with everything though.
    Good luck!
    If all else fails, mind someone with the 99-02 model and try to fit it on yours before you buy it.
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

98 cars have an angled throttle body...sorry no soup for you.

You can look into getting an SLP CAI panel, or Fast Toys CAI.

Go to www.thunderracing.com

Go to www.camarov6.com for a lot of information on V6 cars.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

From what I've seen, the 3800 Camaros (pre 99, anyway) have one of the worst intake setups I've ever seen. My sister's fiance has a '97, and that intake is just terrible. Unfortunately, to get a better one in there, we'd have to re-route all the brake lines coming out of the ABS unit, or run some tubing straight DOWN and basically make a ram air scoop underneith (he doesn't like this idea as he SOMETIMES has to drive it in the snow).

Gotta say I much prefer the Firebird setup...a straight shot with no kinks or bends.

Comment

Originally posted by 99Firebird3800
          Gotta say I much prefer the Firebird setup...a straight shot with no kinks or bends.
          Pre-99 3.8s, regarless Camaro or Bird, has the angle bend. The plus for 95-97 cars is that you can use the SLP CAI from the LT1s. 98 cars with the updates, the fuse blocks make the setup impossible. You have the lid and crap angle TB.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
          X