Interior Plastics - what kind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Plastics - what kind?

I ordered my Interceptor gauges...they arrive Monday.

I will be blending the A-pillar pod into the pillar, and will be painting with SEM Color Coat graphite. My question is: What kind of plastic is it?

SEM states that on ABS, PVC, and other similar kinds of plastic, use Sand Free (primer). However, on TPO, EPDM, PP, and other thermoplastics, use Plastic Adhesion Promoter.

What should I use?
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Probably the stuff thats plastic safe
    I think you need something that wont harm high density polyethylene, not 100% tho, but really mild stuff like that wouldnt hurt other compositions.
    -Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

They are both safe/designed for plastics. Just different types...

I think the pieces are ABS, but not positive.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

find something to test it on, see if you can get a piece of your work off to spray, if it hold without deteriorating the plastic its probably fine.

If you're still worried about it, call a dealership and ask them for the part you'll be working on, then ask what specific type of material its made of, They should be able to tell you.
        -Alex
        1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        LED exterior and interior lighting
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
        pacesetter longtubes
        T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
        Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood
        96? ws6 spoiler
        full emissions delete
        polished heads with oversize valve job
        Edelbrock IAS shocks
        Full tubular Chassis minus k member
        Daily Driver and love it that way
        Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

I believe the SEM vinyl paint is the same stuff Eastw-ood Company sells under their own name. I've used the Eastw-ood vinyl paint (graphite) directly on the A-pillar, witout primer, and its still there 9 years later.

The site software is out of control.... its popping up emoticons all over the place, without the use of the :-: tags. That's why I had to put the hyphen in Eastw-ood....

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred...I noticed the Eastwood site was wonky for the last week too. Something strange going on with the net?

I stumbled on the SEM stuff through the Eastwood site, so I'm assuming it's the same stuff. (seems like SEM makes it for Eastwood??)

I'm going to go with the primer for ABS just to be safe. I've used vinyl/plastic protectants on my interior for years, and want to make sure the paint's gonna stick. If it works as well as I'm hoping, I may even change coordinating panels with complimentary colors (black, gray, etc.)
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
            X