Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F-Body.coms' Project 383 COMPLETE! Pics Inside!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-Body.coms' Project 383 COMPLETE! Pics Inside!

So after slacking around for close to 3 years, I finally got around to finishing my 383 project. Due to lack of funds I wasn't able to build it up as much as I originally planned, but I think I have a solid foundation to grow on when funds permit. This was quite the experience as this was my very first (and I think last) build. It turned out to be quite the Father/Son/Brother project, although my brother did more slacking than anything. But we got it done! The most surprising part was that 2.5 years after the teardown, and hundreds of parts and hours later, the car started up on the first turn! I was shocked! It even idled and sounded fine! After so long, and after so many problems with wrong parts (cnc-motorsports.com sucks!) and crappy service at the machine shop, there came many points where I just wanted to quit. I think it was the half dozen dreams I had about driving my car that kept me going. But it's finally done and over with. ........

Or so I thought After turning on the engine for the first time, I let it warm up and did the initial 20 min Break-In with rpms varying from 1800 to 2500 rpm. I noticed after I shut it down the the Cats were glowing, but having fixed an exhaust leak half way through the initial break in, I thought this was the cause and proceeded to change the oil. I noticed the last time I drove it (60 miles later) that after I parked at the store and came back and turned it on, it started idling poorly and even turned off. I turned it again and it wouldn't turn on. After a few more attempts it started but still had trouble idling and there was a foul, kind of burnt smell. I managed to drive it home and it ran strong throughout the RPM range until I got to a stop where it would idle roughly. I noticed when I got home that both cats were glowing red towards the back of the cat. The wierd thing is is that when its cool, it will start, idle, and even run fine on the street. Its not until I turn it off and back on that it starts acting up. The car finally threw a code, and the scanner read this: P0161 o2 Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2. Any Ideas?

BTW, I call this f-body.coms' project 383 because I would have never been able to or had the courage to make this happen without the help of this forum and its great members (Joe, Fred and many others). You guys are all the best!

1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

This electric Water Pump Conversion is great! It solves three problems; 1: It eliminates the weep hole leak 2: It eliminates the drive seal oil leak 3: It will save the opti as a result of these leaks BONUS: Increase horsepower and only a 6.1 Amp draw

1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Comment

Very nice!

Looks great!
        -Alex
        1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        LED exterior and interior lighting
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
        pacesetter longtubes
        T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
        Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood
        96? ws6 spoiler
        full emissions delete
        polished heads with oversize valve job
        Edelbrock IAS shocks
        Full tubular Chassis minus k member
        Daily Driver and love it that way
        Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

looks great!

i like it a lot!
          1994 formula trans am LT-1,ED WRIGHT tuned PCM, urathaned rear lca's,new factory rear springs,rear replacement shocks,functional ram air 4 inch cowl hood,hiflo cat,3 inch single into hooker hiflo muffler,2.5 out dual,air foil,underdrive pullys,edelbrock torque arm,drag bags,6T MSD,MSD coil,new built A4,2200conv.massive trans cooler

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
            It turned out to be quite the Father/Son/Brother project, although my brother did more slacking than anything.

But look at all those high quality pictures!!! (Taken by ME!!!)

Slacking? I think not!
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

u got a fueling/ignition problem me thinks, prob too much fuel gettin into the cats whats the a/f ratio?
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Lookin good.
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                  u got a fueling/ignition problem me thinks, prob too much fuel gettin into the cats whats the a/f ratio?
                  fuel/ign?

I thing you mean A/F ratio. Thats a given that chances are its running very rich and causing the cats to glow. the issue now is, does it need a custom tune now or will the Mail-order tune company be willing to try and figure out whats going on.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                    Im not sure what MADZ28 set the A/F to. Im emailed him about it, but I have a feeling it might be the o2 sensors since they are the original ones that came with the car. But your right, it does sound like fuel burning up in the cat. I appreciate the input!

Comment

Originally posted by FTA1995
                      Very nice!

Looks great!
                      Originally posted by DRAGIN
                      i like it a lot!
                      Originally posted by Performin Norman
                      Lookin good.
                      Thank you!

Comment

Its so shiny...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Wow!! Very nice!

Which timing set did you use? the one in post 3 or the one in post 2??
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:
                          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                            Wow!! Very nice!

Post 3. I believe when we ran the dual roller the crank position sensor thing didnt clear the Timing cover so we ordered that one. Its an LT4 heavy duty one I think.
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                              Wow!! Very nice!

Post 3. As CE mentioned ealier, the cloyes didnt allow the reluctor ring to seat deep enough to clear the timing cover. Looking at it now, I should have just had the crank position sensor deleted from the PCM and saved myself the $250. On the plus side, Summit accepted the Cloyes for a full refund after having bought it 2 years ago. Summit is the BEST!

Comment

Working...
                              X