Deleted Delteq thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted Delteq thread

I notice someone posted a thread asking if anyone had used the Delteq (LT1) ignition setup. Just a heads up.... the developer and manufacturer appears to have gotten seriously ill earlier this year. It does not appear the system is being manufactured any longer, there are no replacement parts available, and requests for tech support are no longer answered. In my opinion, there were way too many problems with the Delteq. There were cases of cars on which it simply would not work, no matter how many ways Delteq told them to rework the system.

If you want something different in the way of an aftermarket ignition system for the LT1, consider the Bailey Engineering LTCC system, which uses on the the optical sensor portion of the Optispark, and drives 8 LS1-style coils in direct fire.

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

That really sucks, I hope he gets better.

I was looking to switch over to that system too....

-Alex
    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
    ZO6 wheels (clones)
    LED exterior and interior lighting
    With questionable guts:
    Forged bottom end
    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
    pacesetter longtubes
    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
    96? ws6 hood
    96? ws6 spoiler
    full emissions delete
    polished heads with oversize valve job
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
    Daily Driver and love it that way
    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

I've seen several problems with delteq's conversions, frankly I was suprised that they continued as long as they did.

Comment

What type of issues were ya having Joe?

I think I was the one who posted before asking, but you may have been making a reference to a different post.
        -Alex
        1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
        ZO6 wheels (clones)
        LED exterior and interior lighting
        With questionable guts:
        Forged bottom end
        free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
        pacesetter longtubes
        T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
        Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
        K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
        96? ws6 hood
        96? ws6 spoiler
        full emissions delete
        polished heads with oversize valve job
        Edelbrock IAS shocks
        Full tubular Chassis minus k member
        Daily Driver and love it that way
        Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

I never had one. A few people I knew did. Some had zero problems. One guy's car wouldn't run at all, no matter what was tried. Another one had a consistant misfire that couldn't be traced. Both went back to a stock igntion and had zero problems since.

Comment

The developer of the Delteq previously worked for Electromotive. He developed their "Super Direct Ignition/Opti Eliminator". I bought one in 1997, and was one of the first people to install it. Spent a lot of time providing feedback on the system, how-to's on the wiring, wire lengths, photos, even took my car to Manassass, VA to the Electromotive facitility to show them. In spite of that, when I started having problems with the system - the ignition would just cut out completely for an instant, for no reason at all - I got the same treatment Delteq users got - no help at all. In effect, they abandoned the 20 or so people who had invested $800 in the SDI/Opti Eliminator, never to be heard from again.

This guy also worked for Hypertech when they developed the HPP+ tuner. Not an enviable track record. I've seen threads on other forums where repeated parts replacements, reworks per Delteq feedback, etc failed to solve what was close to a non-running engine. In the end, Delteq admitted "the unit just won't work on some cars, and we don't know why" and refunded the money for the system.

Bob Bailey of Bailey Engineering is a genius compared to the Delteq crew. With the MAF Translator, ScanMaster LT1, and the LTCC under his belt, he has had nothing but successes. I've been in touch with Bob, and he's looking for ideas on new products for the LT1. I've made a few suggestions. How about expanded data from the ScanMaster, and data logging capabilites, for starters?

Anyone here think of an electronic product that would make their LT1 more enjoyable? I can provide input to Bob if you have any good ideas.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

something that would change timing, that can be switched on when you want and off back to stock, also iat that would read cold when you push the button
              93 T/A A4 3.23
              95 Formula A4 2.73
              99 Camaro Z28 Euro spec A4
              93 camaro Z28 M6 3.42 i think
              97 Camaro v6 A4
              00 alfa romeo 166 3.0 v6 sportronic
              00 audi a6 4.2 v8

Comment

Bob Bailey's "MAF Translator" already had the ability to adjust ignition timing, at least as an option. Integrating timing retard with the LTCC would seem to be fairly easy, and an extra input would allow for the timing to be retarded only when a nitrous system was armed, for instance. I think that a standalone timing retard, maybe included with a "2-step" box would be a good idea. I'll pass that on to Bob.

Not sure why you would want to provide a fake IAT reading.... please explain.
                Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  Bob Bailey's "MAF Translator" already had the ability to adjust ignition timing, at least as an option. Integrating timing retard with the LTCC would seem to be fairly easy, and an extra input would allow for the timing to be retarded only when a nitrous system was armed, for instance. I think that a standalone timing retard, maybe included with a "2-step" box would be a good idea. I'll pass that on to Bob.

Not sure why you would want to provide a fake IAT reading.... please explain.
                  i meant to make the pcm think the air going in the engine was colder, but if the ignition timing could be adjusted then theres no need for that.
                  would be nice to be able to have the car stock and turn on auxiliary fuel pump and adjust ignition timing when you turn the nitrous systeem on and add octane booster to the fuel
                  93 T/A A4 3.23
                  95 Formula A4 2.73
                  99 Camaro Z28 Euro spec A4
                  93 camaro Z28 M6 3.42 i think
                  97 Camaro v6 A4
                  00 alfa romeo 166 3.0 v6 sportronic
                  00 audi a6 4.2 v8

Comment

The PCM pulls timing when the intake air is excessively hot. But it doesn't advance timing when the air is very cold. People who dyno tested the 4.7Kohm resistor (57*F) in the IAT sensor harness connector found it lost HP. Additionally, in the speed-density 93's, a false low IAT is going to increase the fuel flow, because the ECM will think the engine is getting more air than it actually is. The last thing a stock tuned LT1 needs is a richer A/F mixture. That trick worked with the 3rd Gen/L98 tuning, but not with the LT1.
                    Fred

Comment

Working...
                    X