Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defroster vent grille done cracked!

Hey guys.

Had a freak incident with an interior piece on my '96 Firebird. I was driving the other day and the car was starting to warm up the passenger compartment and "snap" went part of my defroster vent grille piece, inside on the dash. Looks like the whole dash pad (maybe?) has a strong warp and this broke out of age and strain.

I'm looking to find a replacement to work on installing this spring, or repairing the existing. I don't know how the dash interior pieces on this car come apart. Any suggestions? Also what is the "official" name of the piece of interior so I might look into a replacement?

This is the part that has the opening for the defroster vents pointing at the windshield integrated into it.
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
    1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Welcome to the club.....

I believe it's technically called the Crash Pad buy I've also heard it called the upper dash panel.

It's pretty easy to replace. You need to remove the L and R pillar covers then the whole thing just pops out. It's held in place with multiple velcro type attachments. Shouldn't take more than 30 min.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

www.tacreationsusa.com is your friend for parts
      2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
        It's pretty easy to replace. You need to remove the L and R pillar covers then the whole thing just pops out. It's held in place with multiple velcro type attachments. Shouldn't take more than 30 min.
        Phew!

Thanks guys!
        1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
        2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
        1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

It's called the instrument panel upper trim panel.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X