Wiper blade question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper blade question

I know it may sound dumb but I just once again went through the "fun" process of changing the wiper blades on my car. The stock wipers were long gone from my car when I got it. It had poorly installed RainX arms, one of which eventually just fell off.

This morning on the way to work I lost one again. Just plain flew off as the wipers were running. Go figure, we haven't had rain in SA in forever and once we do...

So my question. Has anybody found an aftermarket one that actually fits? Every one I have tried has to be modified to some extent. It seems all of them are designed for the loop at the end of the arm to turn downward where as ours turn up.

To top it off, as I was fighting with the passenger side I broke the aero cover off of the arm. Did that to the driver's side last time I had to replace them so now what? Replace the whole assembly???

I feel strange basically asking "How do I replace my wiper blades?" on a tech board but there it is.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Bosch ICON.....enough said. You will love them
    2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Trico 24-9r is what I used. Work great. I don't remember wiper blades being any kind of a problem to install.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
        I don't remember wiper blades being any kind of a problem to install.
        I know, they shouldn't be. But it seems like on every pair I try the "universal" adapters are upside down and cannot be flipped or rotated over without being modified. I think I had fewer problems changing my water pump.

I'll look for both of those thanks.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

My bosch took like 20 seconds each
          2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Originally posted by msfyter
            No go. They have the same issue as the ANCO Contour ones I tried yesterday.

But I'm not crazy. The BOSCH fit guide in Auto Zone did not list anything as fitting 94-97 Camaros. They listed up to 93 then skipped to 98. So did the Duralast catalog. I ended up with another set of RainX ones but even those I had to modify slightly, I cut off a small plastic ear on the bracket, so they would sit flat on the windshield.

I have some serious questions about putting air in my tires too but I need a nap first...
            My DD
            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I got the Trico at Advance Auto.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by msfyter
                What he said.

Less than 10 a piece at pep boys or a national auto.

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
                  No go. They have the same issue as the ANCO Contour ones I tried yesterday.

But I'm not crazy. The BOSCH fit guide in Auto Zone did not list anything as fitting 94-97 Camaros. They listed up to 93 then skipped to 98. So did the Duralast catalog. I ended up with another set of RainX ones but even those I had to modify slightly, I cut off a small plastic ear on the bracket, so they would sit flat on the windshield.

I have some serious questions about putting air in my tires too but I need a nap first...
                  Same here, bought the RainX ones and the adapter pieces were upside down. They would not stay in place. Ended up using a very small tie wrap through the adapter and wiper arm to keep them in place. Works but not the prettiest.
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                    Same here, bought the RainX ones and the adapter pieces were upside down. They would not stay in place. Ended up using a very small tie wrap through the adapter and wiper arm to keep them in place. Works but not the prettiest.
                    THANK YOU!!!

Hint: on the RainX adapters trim the little ridges off of the edges so they can swivel around 360 degrees. They work fairly well then but still don't sit completely flat.
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Sneitzel,

Sounds like you went through the same process I did.

Amazing isn't it.....that you could have so much trouble with something so simple as wiper blades?!

I gotta' go along with what Rob said. Those Trico "Exact Fit" blades just pop in in seconds (the way you'd expect any replacements to do....).

Also, even if you do get the "Exact Fit" don't be surprised if you have to do a little careful tweaking to the sub-arm, as you may find the wipers don't lie quite right on our rather tricky windshield surface, primarily because the previous owner may have gone through all kinds of contortions and adjustments to make other so-called generic replacements work.

Good luck.
                      '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Comment

I had to change mine last night. Its easy with a lot of practice.

Still have those scars from my spark plugs though

THAT was remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by formula_gramps
                          don't be surprised if you have to do a little careful tweaking to the sub-arm,
                          Yep I hear you
                          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I don't remember seeing trico at AutoZone. Gonna have to look for those next time.
                            My DD
                            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I've had too many stupid issues with my seldom used blades.
                              I just pried the original connector off of the old blades that were OEM stuff, then put that connector on the new blades. No problems yet with that knock wood.

The only issue I'm really having, is the damn blades(multiple sets) seem to have an issue with meeting the windshield surface when off at about 5% up on the passenger side.

Also, The wipers never return 100% down, i have to hop out and push em down the extra 2 inches, possibly the regulator?
                              -Alex
                              1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                              ZO6 wheels (clones)
                              LED exterior and interior lighting
                              With questionable guts:
                              Forged bottom end
                              free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                              pacesetter longtubes
                              T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                              Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                              K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                              96? ws6 hood
                              96? ws6 spoiler
                              full emissions delete
                              polished heads with oversize valve job
                              Edelbrock IAS shocks
                              Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                              Daily Driver and love it that way
                              Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

Working...