Installing McCord power plate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing McCord power plate

Since I'll be working on the oil leak on my diff, I'm planing on finally installing the McCord power plate on my Borla.

Where is the best place to route the wires into the car? Utilize the drain rubber plug where the spare tire sits? Any other suggestions?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Sounds like we are going to have the same setup.

I wanted it to be as stealth as possible. So, I made a hole into the trunk area, lined it with a grommet, then ran the line up over the wheel well (inside the car), along the passenger door sill, and into the center console. I mounted the switch in the ashtray.

Before installing it, I "improved" upon the motor design. I took it apart and used RTV to seal it up. I then wrapped it in a good, thick electrical tape to help it blend in under the car (all black). In NJ, they look under the car. I wanted it to almost disappear so the MVC won't notice.

Just make sure the butterfly is able to open and close fully. On my Boral, there was flashing inside the bore which was inhibiting the valve movement. I shined a flashlight into the exhaust and was able to see the valve was not closing all the way. I had to use my Dremel to grind away at the Borla pipe to allow extra clearance.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. Where did you find a grommet that worked for you?

Yes it sounds like the same setup, but yours looks like brand spanken new on the picture you posted in the other thread while mine is all rusty and grungy underneath.
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Car parts store...just a 3/4 inch rubber grommet.

Your Borla is still nice and shiny underneath. I polish mine up annually with wheel polish. That's the beauty of 304 stainless.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Finally got the McCord installed. Had to grind inside the pipe a little as well for the valve to open up.

Didn't have time yet to wire it up so I used an old lighter adapter so I could get it going. Any simple places under the console to hook it up on a switched power source?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

It's been a long time, but I think I ran a wire to the fuse box. There's a switched, spare circuit in the panel, on the lower left side. I ran a spade plug to it to power the switch.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
            X