Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock clutch disc....

How much power is it good to???

I'm on a bit of a budget. I need a new clutch, but I don't want to put down 450 for the SPEC 2 that I'm going to get eventually.

As a cheap quick fix for the time being, I'm thinking I might just put a stocker in and leave the current SPEC stage 3 pressure plate in there (Has 40k on it).

What do you guys think? Mods are in sig.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

a stock LT1 disk I doubt is good for to much more than stock. As long as you dont push it you should be fine. I would say anything above 350whp on a stocker is no good.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
      a stock LT1 disk I doubt is good for to much more than stock. As long as you dont push it you should be fine. I would say anything above 350whp on a stocker is no good.
      That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking with my mods WOT is outta the question.

But I'm wondering if it will be ok to just swap this disc in and re use the pressure plate. Don't wanna resurface the flywheel either.

I'm hoping I can get a quick cheap fix. I know those are rare, but I'm hoping this is an instance.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Did you consider the Ram Powergrip clutch? The pressure plate is most likely the LT4 Valeo already. All you need is a new clutch disc, which can be had for little money.

Personally, I would never reinstall a clutch without resurfacing the flywheel and PP, but I guess if you don't have many miles , it's OK. I dreaded doing mine once...I wouldn't want to do it again if the PP and flywheel were chattering/slipping due to glazing problems with the new disc.

I took the easy way out...replaced both. I figured, I saved the money on resurfacing, will be able to recoup a few bucks by selling the t/o parts, and picked up a few "seat of the pants" hp by going to a lighter flywheel.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Did you consider the Ram Powergrip clutch? The pressure plate is most likely the LT4 Valeo already. All you need is a new clutch disc, which can be had for little money.

Personally, I would never reinstall a clutch without resurfacing the flywheel and PP, but I guess if you don't have many miles , it's OK. I dreaded doing mine once...I wouldn't want to do it again if the PP and flywheel were chattering/slipping due to glazing proble
          Oh man you have no clue! I had to drop my trans 4 times bc I was cheap from the get-go.
          Raro just don't drive it for a while and save up and get everything new
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Oh man you have no clue! I had to drop my trans 4 times bc I was cheap from the get-go.
            Raro just don't drive it for a while and save up and get everything new
            It's my daily now bro. Been for over a year now. It's going to go out completely real soon and could leave me stranded. Thats why I need a quick cheap fix. Like, this weekend. I was thinking about picking up this cheap stock disc and dropping it in on saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              It's my daily now bro. Been for over a year now. It's going to go out completely real soon and could leave me stranded. Thats why I need a quick cheap fix. Like, this weekend. I was thinking about picking up this cheap stock disc and dropping it in on saturday.
              Oh alright. Man Yeah I guess Try a Cheap Stocker. I'd let you have my S1 Spec Disk but your not exactly around the corner.

Go to a local Car shop, You never know, They might have a hardly used Clutch kit for like dirt cheap!
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Oh alright. Man Yeah I guess Try a Cheap Stocker. I'd let you have my S1 Spec Disk but your not exactly around the corner.

Go to a local Car shop, You never know, They might have a hardly used Clutch kit for like dirt cheap!
                Will that disc work on my lt1? I'd buy it off you.

Comment

I think LS1 is bigger but dont quote me.

Man I just went outside to look for it. My dad Sold it for steel! I would of let u HAVE them, I dont want anything to do with SPEC.

Sorry man.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

raro where are you located at?
                    '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Dearborn MI.

I'm talking to a guy on cz28. Probably just going to pick up his brand new stock disc and put that in over the weekend.

Comment

oh yeah wish you were closer... good luck though
                        '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Good Luck Raro!

Just dont even try going WOT. I could imagine that it will heat up and glaze over rather quick!

Keep us updated
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

hey i have i think two clutches one literally only has maybe 5k on it. you can have the and the other clutch if i still have it for a few bucks. and shipping. im in md it shouldnt cost to much to ship. if you wanna do that just incase. this was i think summits clutch like their performance clutch or something like that. dont hold me to it cause it was a good 3 or 4 months ago. i think i blew the trans in it so i picked up an auto car (which the trans happened to be shot) and putting my 383 into it. so like i said if you want it so you have something fairly new to throw in just incase a few bucks and shipping and she is yours. also my flywheel is pretty fresh buts its for an internally balanced motor. hope i can help ya.
                            94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                            1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                            GOT PSi?
                            Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
                              hey i have i think two clutches one literally only has maybe 5k on it. you can have the and the other clutch if i still have it for a few bucks. and shipping. im in md it shouldnt cost to much to ship. if you wanna do that just incase. this was i think summits clutch like their performance clutch or something like that. dont hold me to it cause it was a good 3 or 4 months ago. i think i blew the trans in it so i picked up an auto car (which the trans happened to be shot) and putting my 383 into it. so like i said if you want it so you have something fairly new to throw in just incase a few bucks and shipping and she is yours. also my flywheel is pretty fresh buts its for an internally balanced motor. hope i can help ya.
                              Man I appreciate that, but I JUST closed a deal with a guy on cz28 (about 45 minutes ago) on a new crappy stock autozone clutch disc.

I'm desperate. The car is going to leave me stranded any day now.

It's at the point now where once I let the clutch all the way out it takes a good 8 seconds before the clutch will grab and move the car. It's terrible. I've always replaced my clutches when they start showing signs of slipping at WOT, but this one never did. It still doesn't slip at WOT. Just can't take off. And if I'm doing like 25 in 3rd gear and give it any gas it slips. I can still WOT it as long as I make the most of each gear. Pretty weird.

I just hope this pressure plate is in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X