looking for the most bang for my buck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for the most bang for my buck

Im only working with about 500 but i want to get the most HP for the money without taking the motor or trans out. labor is free so the whole 500 goes to parts and i have a few things done already. so far I have 40 Series Flowmasters, functional Ram Air Hood into a K&N box, Hyper Tech Chip, and Bilstein Shocks and a tune up was done in September 08' and its an automatic. thoughts?

1st of all welcome!!!

We can assume from your screen name that you have a 93 Z28 and you listed some of the specific information about your car but it will be much easier if you create a signature with your car's info.

Under QUICK LINKS select EDIT SIGNATURE and enter your information. You will get an error when you save the info, just ignore it and things should work.
    NOTE: the USER CP links do not work.

Also, everybody is going to want to know what your goals are for your car? Is it your daily driver, is it a weekend racer that only sees the drag strip etc.

All of this will help everyone give you the best advice possible.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

gears and suspension
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I've got to agree...change your gear to a 3.73 and work the tranny.

It's not going to add any hp, but it will give you a real "seat of the pants" increase. Also, firming up the shifts will provide a real plus.

The only other substantial hp improvement for $500 is nitrous. But, it's not going to reap continuous pleasure...as the gas will always need to be refilled.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Gears are good, a converter would be good, too- either will make it launch harder, though they won't increase actual horsepower-

If you are doing your own work, you might be able to get into a decent cam at that price- you will need to figure gaskets, probably springs, depending on cam- you already have done some intake and exhaust work, so the cam would be a logical next step-
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
            Gears are good, a converter would be good, too- either will make it launch harder, though they won't increase actual horsepower-

If you are doing your own work, you might be able to get into a decent cam at that price- you will need to figure gaskets, probably springs, depending on cam- you already have done some intake and exhaust work, so the cam would be a logical next step-

just make sure the cam doesnt outflow the heads, otherwise dont get that cam until headwork or heads are done
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If you know how to install gears then Gear. If you dont then its going to run you more than $500.

Whats the goal with the car?

Drag or Auto-X?
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                If you know how to install gears then Gear. If you dont then its going to run you more than $500.

Whats the goal with the car?

Drag or Auto-X?
                What he said. If you cant do the gears yourself. Then headers are your biggest bang for the buck.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

Headers are worth what, about 20 or 25 HP? Not sure what your emission regulations are in Michigan- long tubes will require re-locating the cats, which is forbidden in some areas-

As I said, gears are a great seat-of-the-pants mod, but no more horsepower- sort of fun to spin the tires even more easily, though-

Comes down really to what you want out of the car- Better highway cruising? Better MPG's? Faster acceleration? Faster around the track? Having a goal in mind is the first part in logically working towards it-
                  2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                  "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                    Headers are worth what, about 20 or 25 HP?
                    I would not Say that much of a gain. Although yes they make a difference, I doubt 20-25HP. Maybe with Longtubes, Off-road Y and cat back you will see those numbers.

Keep in mind LSx series motor react better to mods that LTx series.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                    X