Firebird Engine Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird Engine Help

Alright, i just bought my firebird about a month ago and it has given me many problems. I have just replaced the battery but now, it wont start. It startd like a day after the batt. was replaced but wont work now. When i try to turn on my car, everything will turn on like lights on dash, stereo, a.c., everything...but my engine wont even TRY to turn on. No clicks or anything... Im thinkin it could be the starter....

plus if this helps, when i turn on all my electrical stuff, the battery charge is only about half way but when i jump it, it goes up about 1/4 but right after i unhook it, it goes back to half...wtf?

1995 Firebird Hatchback
    3.4 L v6
    new battery....
    no mods yet..

Best way to get help is to provide a complete description of your car. All we know is that it is a Firebird. They built these cars for 36 years, in many variations, engines, etc. As a suggestion, as a minimum, provide the following info:

Year
    Model
    Engine
    Tranny
    and major modifications

You can add a "Signature", which automatically attaches that info to every post. Left click on "Quick Links" on the blue task bar at the top of the page, click "Edit Signature" on the drop-down. After you "save", you may get a message that indicates there was a problem with the system, but your signature should be saved and available for future posts.

It sounds like your problem could be as simple as a corroded wire from the battery to the starter. Have you checked the wire for damage, corrosion on the terminals, etc?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by T-Spoon
      When i try to turn on my car, everything will turn on like lights on dash, stereo, a.c., everything...but my engine wont even TRY to turn on. No clicks or anything... Im thinkin it could be the starter....
      Possibly, or bad connection to the battery, or bad connection to the starter. Or enough amps to run electrical devices but not enough to even drive the starter.
      1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
      2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
      1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

I'm with these guys- check all wires and connectors- clean them up with steel wool or a wire brush until nice and shiny, and coat them with some terminal gunk that will keep the air and corrosive gasses away-

It is pretty easy for large cables to get corroded for the first inch or so under the insulation- wiggle the connectors while you have them off, and make sure the wire they are crimped to is in good shape-
        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
        X