clutch and flywheel suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch and flywheel suggestions?

So I just bought a Chevy/Viper transmission that i'm pretty excited about.
    http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...56cPath=107_94

They sell Zoom clutches, but I wanted to shop around for the best before I bought a clutch.

What would you guys recommend for a clutch and flywheel for this transmission?

I have a 1997 Firebird LT1 with an LT4 conversion kit.

I'm on my Second SPEC in my Lt1 and I love it. I went with a stage 1 this time and it's been great.

The flywheel that autozone sells is a GM flywheel. It's really nice, but 165 bucks. Might try finding a used one less that you could take in and get resurfaced.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

If you want the absolute best, most indestructible clutch, you want the McLeod dual-disc Street Twin, including your choice of steel or aluminum flywheel, and optional adjustable master cylinder.

I bought one used (out of a 750HP LT1 30th SS convertible), put it behind my 800HP/800ft-lb nitrous motor, and did whatever I wanted with it, with no problems at all. It just loved 5-6,000 RPM dumps on 28" Hoosier QTP's. When I decided to convert to the TH400, I sold my T56 and the Street Twin to another high HP LT1 owner, for an A4->M6 conversion, and as far as I know, as 3rd owner of the Street Twin, he had no problems with it.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I chose a more modest, yet pretty darn' good package (see my mods).

I don't foresee ever making more than 425 flywheel hp, so I didn't need anything exotic. However, my stock clutch was no match for my current power and torque levels. (about 350 hp, 365 tq)

The clutch composition is spot on for my needs. No slippage, no chatter, very streetable...yet grabs like the dickens when stomped on. I've built the car to be a corner-carver, so slicks will never be an option.

The aluminum flywheel is lighter than stock, but not so much as to create chatter or bogging. It revs much quicker (and smoother) now, with no noticeable issues. The PP upgrade should have been done back in 96...all current PPs are LT4 designs (you'll still find LT1 Valeo PP out there...avoid them).

Overall...I did a lot of research (mostly with the Mustang crowd) and found little to fault Ram products.

I was leary about SPEC because of the huge range of comments from gys that use them...It's a love it or hate it clutch from what I've read over the last 7 years.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

you guys definitely gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for all your advise.

Last time I got my car dyno tested, it was making over 400HP at the wheels. I don't plan on racing a whole lot right away, but I will end up at the track eventually at which point I will be using slicks. With that in mind, my choices might be limited to the more expensive clutches.

Comment

What are your mods? I thought you had an LT1 with LT4 components.

How are you making over 450 (flywheel) hp?
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              What are your mods? I thought you had an LT1 with LT4 components.

How are you making over 450 (flywheel) hp?
              He said over 400whp. Either way with an LT4 conversion I cant see that much of an HP gain. That much with a stock bottom end?

We probly make around 400whp with a 383 Stroker, Stock heads, and Mild cam.

Im curious what mods.

As jeff stated, a McLaod is the best in the market but price is no joke either. If you had an LS car then the LS7 clutch would make good for your power.

For the LTx motors I dont know much about due to the difference in Slaves and how the clutch is disengaged.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

yes...I know.

over 400 whp = over 450 flywheel horsepower

I'm thinkin' the poster is not being totally honest with us. He's added 165 hp (stock 97 had 285)???

It's an advertisement for the website (D&D Performance) he posted folks... He's "seeding" information on message boards. He wants to make sure we "notice" this T-56 can handle that kind of horsepower...

If I'm wrong...my apologies. But, I doubt it...
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

From a previous post, I think he has nitrous...which should easily make an LT4 kit over 400 rwhp.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Again...if I'm wrong, my apologies. However, I've come across similar posts like this, so I'm very suspicious.
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
                    X