Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I need to change my front calipers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need to change my front calipers...

About 2 years ago, I took the car in to Just Brakes and they ended up rebuilding my front calipers because they were not releasing completely and so were wearing down the pads and grooving the rotors pretty badly. Well, I think they have been doing that again. There is a distinctive grinding noise while I am driving, and the rotors are badly grooved. The rotors may also be warped as here is some pulsation of the pedal at times. If it is the calipers, would it be best just to replace them? Or rebuild them again? And is it a job that I should be able to handle myself? I am still developing my mechanical skills, and brakes are not something I have had to work on since I changed the pads on my 83 RX-7 a little over 10 years ago.
    I think I also need to change the struts while I am in there. There are making alot of creaking noise when I go over speed bumps. My tires are also wearing very badly on the outside shoulders, while the middle of the tread is wearing way slower. Am I correct in assuming that that would be an issue with the suspension? The steering doesn't pull in either direction at all.
    I would like to do the work myself, but am always afraid that I will get into it and realize that I am in over my head. I just hate to pay $85 an hour for someone else to do something that I can do myself. Any help would be grand.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

u may not have to rebuild the calipers, the slides could be frozen or gummed up and not allowing for full movement, happens alot. use a c-clamp or a big set of channel locks and push the piston back in(after u remove it from the mount and leave the old pad on there) with the bleeder open. if the piston struggles to go back in(not easily) then the caliper is bad and re-manufacture ones are at the parts store, no reason to rebuild, if u can find the kit.

sounds like you need an alignment. get one done, should correct that problem. and the noise over bumps could be a dry bushing, use some synthetic lube(from a spray can) and spray the bushing and that should help that problem also
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks, man.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Our calipers are pretty stout I've learned...but the sliders, as stated, tend to stick or freeze. It happened to me...so I had to get new brackets. Obviously, I got new calipers, sliders, shims, pads, rotors...LOL!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
          Our calipers are pretty stout I've learned...but the sliders, as stated, tend to stick or freeze. It happened to me...so I had to get new brackets. Obviously, I got new calipers, sliders, shims, pads, rotors...LOL!
          alot of cars seem to do it, dont kno why, when i was a mechanic, i always cleaned the slides and relubed em, even if they didnt need it. and it doesnt seem to a certain car. some cars were so bad, i had to use a torch to heat up the slider to slide it out of the rust sand paper on a brake line in a drill and new dust boost/rubbers and everything was sliding free again
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
          X